Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Were your kids names popular....

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 115 Replies

When you first named them?  Meaning did you see a lot of kids with their name, or was it rare and that is why you named them what you did?

dds name is Faith and while we run into a kid or 2 in public with that name, there still aren't a lot with her first name in school and I like that. Ds doesn't have anybody in school with his name either, but we run into other little boys named Spencer a lot more often than we used to, and there are a few tv charactors with his name as well.  I named ds after a great Uncle on my moms side, I had never met him as he was dead, I had just seen a picture with his name on it and fell in love with the name.  Plus it was different than all the names we had in our family  I mean seriously between dh and my families we had

4 Roberts

3 Chris's

3 Michaels

2 Georges

3 James

and 3 seans(including dh)

All great names, but I wanted a name we didn't have multiples of.

Faith was also a name we didn't have in our family until dd came along.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
My boys are Ryan and Kyle. I know Ryan is a popular name. But I don't hear many Kyle's yet. I just loved both names and named them that because I loved it. Didn't think about how popular it was/is.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

DD is Brenna, we have come across a few of them over the years there is one that will be in 3rd grade with her this year at school. DS is Quinn and it is not very popular although I am seeing it more for girls which irks me because it is not at all feminine! 

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I have a Jade and a Jacob. Jacob is popular, but Jade isn't that common in our area. There are a lot of Jada and Jaden in our area though.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM

All 3 of my boys names are somewhat popular but not overly so. 

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Haven't run into any same-name kids with DS2...and it's not an odd name either!  With DS1 the only time we have run into close-to-same-age kids with his name was in preschool---when there were 3 kids with the same name!  And the kicker was that the other two had the same last initial... The 2nd year it was only two of them, but then this last baseball team they ended up on the same team so the coaches were trying to think of cool nicknames, but ended up just using first name with last initial.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My kids are Nathan, Leah, and Justin, so no, their names were never rare.

Nathan has always had a Nate in his grade, but that's as close as it got. Now he will be going to middle school where 4 elementary schools feed into one middle school, so it may be more likely that there will be another Nathan.

Leah has one other Leah in her grade- and their last initial is the same, too. They were in the same class last year so kids were always calling them by their first and last names. lol They are good friends and both thought it was cool, though.

There are other Justins in our school, but none in his grade.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter's name is Olivia.  There are 3 more in her grade.  We thought we were being original, apparently so did every one else.  

Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Only Quin I knew was a boy.  when ds was in Hospital for Pnemonia the nurse thought spencer was a girls name, I was a bit put off by that, seeing as I got it from an Uncle.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

DD is Brenna, we have come across a few of them over the years there is one that will be in 3rd grade with her this year at school. DS is Quinn and it is not very popular although I am seeing it more for girls which irks me because it is not at all feminine! 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I looked up my son's name on the popularity index before naming him. It was falling out of favor at that time. It's a common name, but not overwhelmingly so.

knagsmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

i have an arianna who is 4 i had never heard the name till after she was born then i met 4 with her name different spelling. ds 6 is named keith only one his age. my gpa is named keith and ive known 2 other keith who are also older

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN