• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

elementary school ranked at the bottom

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hello everyone I need all u input pls it will really help me a lot with my decision, my son will be in first grade this year, however after three years of living in my house, I have been getting some really unpleasant feedback about the school as it ranked one of the bottom schols based on the tss exams, I have tried to put in private school and that didn't work financialy. Most of my family r renting so thats not an option they cant add me to the lease,Homeschooling is not an option for me either, English is my second language and I'm struggling myself especially with pronunciation , and I also have ab handful one year old, I was able to put him in a def school for his kindergarten, however, that was a one year exception that only allowed for kindergarten, any ideas, advices, I need help pls
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Bump
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure that there is much that you can do at this late date.  Is your son deaf?  If so, I would see if the county/state can help get him placed permanently in a school for the deaf.

frndlyfn
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I may be in the minority here but why not give the school a chance and go from there.   We had the option of sending dd to a different school in the same district if we wanted at no cost to us. Us and a few other paents stayed with our school despite low scores in the past due to the community feeling and all the programs implemented (put in place)  to help improve the teachers skills and update their curriculums.

sara2013
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Steelcrazy, no he's not def, thanx for u advice
sara2013
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Fryndlyfn thanx so much for your great advice, I did review lots of articles and school bored that they have added couple of programs to help students achieve higher academic level hopfully they mean what they say, and I'm concedring moving next year cause this is a nightmare, my son looooves school so hopefuly he still does after this year, is there any websites where I can use to help improve his academic learning, again thanx sooo much
frndlyfn
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sara2013:

Fryndlyfn thanx so much for your great advice, I did review lots of articles and school bored that they have added couple of programs to help students achieve higher academic level hopfully they mean what they say, and I'm concedring moving next year cause this is a nightmare, my son looooves school so hopefuly he still does after this year, is there any websites where I can use to help improve his academic learning, again thanx sooo much

Just follow the teachers lead, they will know where his weaknesses are and his strengths.   My dd did starfall.com for reading (it may help you as well with speaking words properly since you click on a word and the person says it.) , She still does nickjr.com, pbskidsgo.org, etc for learning as well.  I can not remember the one math site her school uses at this moment though.

SP_Mama
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We had the same problem here.  We put in for a transfer within the school district and they were accepted.  Is that a possibility?  I know here, though, transfers students aren't eligible for bus transportation.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

If the school is failing, usually there are options. I think the options include transfering to a non-failing school to after school tutoring. I'm not exactly sure what options are available in your state. I'm sure if you call the Board of Education for the state you live in, they should be able to tell you what options are available.

I also think frndlyfn gave some good advice that you should consider. If there are a lot of other kids in the school that speak English as a second language at home, that can pull down test scores. It might be a decent school still, and they might need parents that are willing to be more active in it. 

Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I understand your problem since we own a house in the worst district in our city.  I would never put him there.  Currently my 6 yr old goes to a private school that I teach at, but I've also thought about keeping him home and doing school online (we have something called PA Cyber in pennsylvania).  Our only other option is to move, and that's difficult since we own our house.  There's also a good charter school not far from us, but they accept based on if you live in the city of pittsburgh district first, then all other applicants are taken based on a lottery.  We tried for this year and were something like 63 on the wait list for 1st grade, so that's not viable either.

If you don't own your house, you might consider moving.  We are looking at houses closer to where my husband works, which also is a great school district.  Downside:  PRICE!

sara2013
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Thanx everyone so much when I called the school district they said i would have to move, I haven't tried tired the department of education yet, so first thing in
the mmorning
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)