Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whose kids start school this week? *update*

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

We start tomorrow! AHHHHHH! My kiddo is starting kindergarten, I am wicked nervous! Luckily he is only going half day and it's only 3 hours which works great for his medical needs. 

This is also my first (and only) child, so I feel like a lost puppy! LOL! I am so antsy! How were you when your first child started school (like kindergarten, he has done preschool but it was so much different than this)?

**UPdate** So we dropped him off and amazingly, I didn't cry. However, as we drove further from the school I got more and more anxious, just about his medical issues more than anything. My fear is with it being the first day of school and hectic, he could have a seizure and no one realize it or realize too late embarrassed

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

We still have 3.5 weeks of summer break left here.  It has been any years since my oldest started kindergarten (7th grade this year), but I still recall the best advice that I was ever given.

You will be nervous, but don't let him see that.  Put a big smile on your face, walk him to his classroom, give him a hug and kiss.  Tell hi that you love him and will see him in a little while.  (Now here is the crucial part)  Turn and walk away.  Don't look back, even if he cries or yells for you, just keep walking.  Once you are safely in your car, feel free to cry your eyes out.  At pick up time, ask him about his day, get excited over every little thing that he tells you, etc.  but whatever you do, don't talk about missing him or ask him if he missed you.  Focus completely on him and how great school was.

Good luck and know that there are lots of us here for you.  We've all been there and will happily support you as you miss your little man.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

*hugs* thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate this!

Quoting steelcrazy:

We still have 3.5 weeks of summer break left here.  It has been any years since my oldest started kindergarten (7th grade this year), but I still recall the best advice that I was ever given.

You will be nervous, but don't let him see that.  Put a big smile on your face, walk him to his classroom, give him a hug and kiss.  Tell hi that you love him and will see him in a little while.  (Now here is the crucial part)  Turn and walk away.  Don't look back, even if he cries or yells for you, just keep walking.  Once you are safely in your car, feel free to cry your eyes out.  At pick up time, ask him about his day, get excited over every little thing that he tells you, etc.  but whatever you do, don't talk about missing him or ask him if he missed you.  Focus completely on him and how great school was.

Good luck and know that there are lots of us here for you.  We've all been there and will happily support you as you miss your little man.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM
My youngest will be in Kindergarten this year. Thank you for the advice steel!
My boys don't start school until late August.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Nope. Not until the 19th. 

oooomelissaoooo
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM

*sigh* my dd starts K next week. and like you im so nervous. all the what ifs bc im not there! ive never left this kid with anybody that isnt my family.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My girls go back to school on Monday!! Yay!! <-- I'm counting down the days...

My oldest was in half day K4 several years ago so K was only different in that she added an extra 2.5 hours to the day. I'm the weird mom... I never got nervous or upset.  ( she will be in 2nd grade on Monday)

My youngest starts K on Monday. I'm not nervous or worried. She went to K4 at this school last year so it's just a matter of a new teacher. She'll know some of the kids and since it is private school, they both know the Headmaster, the admins and most of the teachers. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
We started today. My boys are in k and 2nd.

My middle ds did very good. No yelling screaming or crying....

We go full day! I won't see him till 3pm!

momtomany315
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
My kids don't go back until September 4th. This year I will have a 1st grader, 2nd grader, 6th grader (which means her last year in elementary next year is highschool), a 7th or 8th grader (she doesn't know if she passed) and a 10th grader. Ugh sometimes I wonder where the time has gone.
I work at my children's school and I have to go back to work August 26th.
Jnc91
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Ds starts the 12th. Full day kindy! So nervous. Hopefully we can get an iep set up quick for him

jessicaaris
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My son went to preschool before kindergarten so he was ready for it. Kindergarten here is all day (8-3) but my son LOVED it! He is excited to go back to school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)