Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Public school and school fees

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 61 Replies

What happens if a parent refuses to pay the school fees? Does the school refuse to let the child attend? If they refuse how does the school get away with that legally?

Another post had me thinking about that. I never heard of schools charging fees until I joined Cafemom.

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Ours can not officially ask nor stop you from coming and not all contribute....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Our school says they withhold report cards until the fees are paid.

waytomanykids9
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

How can they legally do that though?

Quoting catevincesmom:

liveforever
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Thats a good question....I always pay so its not something I ever worried about. 

Now I wonder what the policy is in our district.

**I tried doing a search but didnt find anything except something about a form you can fill out to waive some of the fees.  I also saw that once a student hits 10 absences (without drs notes) the school can hold the students drivers license until they turn 18!

catevincesmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Honestly, IDK.  This may sound rude, & I don't mean it to- I don't care.  We pay our school fees.  If they are required, I think everyone that goes to that school system should. 

Quoting waytomanykids9:

Quoting catevincesmom:

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM

My kids go to public school and I never heard of school fees until CafeMom, either!

Shell89
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

For actual school there's no fees but there are for extracurricular activities. (band, chorus, drama, sports, etc.)Depending on the grade/ what ii is depends on the price. If you don't pay, you can't participate.From 7th grade up there's a bus fee. If you don't pay you can't ride the bus. (when you pay you get a bus pass you need to show the driver.) If you get free/reduced lunch you can get a waiver.

liveforever
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting SahmTam:

My kids go to public school and I never heard of school fees until CafeMom, either!

Ive never heard of a public school with no school fees until Cafemom lol. 

Ours are never anything crazy. I think dds were $18 last year. They were similar when I was in school...in a different district.

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Quoting SahmTam:

waytomanykids9
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Oh I agree that everyone should pay if they are required. If my children attended public school and we had a fee, we would pay it also.  I'm just curious on how schools get away with changing people a fee when public school is supposed to be free.

Quoting catevincesmom:

Honestly, IDK.  This may sound rude, & I don't mean it to- I don't care.  We pay our school fees.  If they are required, I think everyone that goes to that school system should. 

Quoting waytomanykids9:

Quoting catevincesmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)