Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Optional supply list

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 45 Replies
Our supply list was optional. Dd is in first grade. It is amazing how few kids actually brought supplies. Dd got to keep everything I bought, because I bought everything that was asked for. What I bought that was extra went to the community pool I guess. If I had known there would be so few contributions, I would have bought more. There were great sales. The only thing I splurged on was really expensive pencils. Are your kids' supplies marked optional, too?
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

we have a manditory supply list. and then another that is opptional, with things that are used by all teh students or the teacher.

i buy everything off both lists

Come join us as we blog about all things mom related!

http://kidsaretrippin.com/

you know you want to!

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Our supply lists are always 100% optional. There is a list for each grade of suggested personal supplies and a classroom supply wish list. I got every item except for clorox wipes for both of my kids' lists and spent right around $60. That doesn't include backpacks though, which are strongly encouraged. 

The community provides for those who can't afford supplies. We have a city wide "stuff the bus" program where people donate supplies during the weeks before school and they get distributed as needed throughout the entire district. 

The supply lists also offer the "adopt a student" program where you can choose to buy a second set of the individual supplies for a child in need in that class or grade.

MissMelanieC
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

It's always seem to be mandatory and I feel like the majority bring everything on the list. But that would be nice to bring extra just in case someone can't bring something.

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

i dont know. it doesnt say its optional. i bought everything x2 though bc i know theres going to be kids who bring nothing. esp after hearing ppl that i work with say that they "never buy that shit"

i was like well ok. while i dont feel like its my job to provide for other kids, i also feel like its a shame these kids show up with nothing. and i by no means really have the money to be buying for everyone else.

on the flip side though, our list was extremely short. prob the shortest of all Ks i saw. but that also concerns me LOL they will prob give me another list soon

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Our list i dont think is optional but i know of families that will not participate due to their financial troubles or they feel they do not have to.  We check in with dd's teacher throughout the year to see if they need anything extra and we can pick it up.  She is going into 2nd grade this year so we were able to buy things last year for this year.

party_of_5
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Just my oldest & it's just a couple of things. He's going into the 7th grade. We have a manditory list & I always get the things plus extra things. The sad things is there are so many parents out there that don't buy the "required" supplies, not b/c they can't, they just don't want to. I have become really close couple of the teachers at the school & it's amazing how much some parents just don't care. It's just sad.

We have a really big church her in the town I live in & they always have a back to school fair where parents can get a lot of the school supplies, haircuts, dental/eye check-ups all for free.

Jnc91
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM
ours was mandatory. Ds is going to a charter school though so parents CHOSE to put their kids there so they should expect to pay for lengthy supply lists and uniforms. They said they don't want any "I can't afford it" excuses
steelcage
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

We have a required list and a small optional list under it. That includes things like baby wipes, ziploc bags, etc. I didn't buy them this year but if the teacher asks later in the year for something I will chip in. Money is just really tight right now with the baby coming plus someone always buys a lot extra at the beginning of the year.

I was peeved that "dry erase markers" were on the required list. Uhm, yeah my kids don't use those? They should be optional.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

We have mandatory supllies with a few extras at the bottom (tissue, handsanitizer, exta pencils, etc.). I bought most of the optional supplies because I have the budget to contribute to her classroom and know many parents in the school district can't. I hate to think that teachers (many of whom are worse off than I am financially at the moment) have to go out and purchase supplies. I also sent in some other things I figured they could use (scissors, loose leaf paper, construction paper, and some paints) that weren't on the list. My sister teaches preschool and it's crazy how much she spends to do fun art projects with her students!

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM
The public school list for my son is optional, DD's private school list is not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)