Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Book report...kill.me.now.

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

My oldest daugther will start 2nd grade on Monday. We found out a few weeks ago that she has a book report due on Monday about a book of her choice that she has read over the summer. My amazing kiddo decided that she was going to read a book about Anne Frank. 

Lilly has never written a paragraph before as she just finished 1st grade, so this is tough. I am trying my hardest to teach her how to do it without doing it for her. I'm asking her the set of questions they listed and she is answering them. She asked me to write down what she is saying so she didn't forget it and she is copying what I wrote down. She is almost finished thankfully. We have been doing this for a few hours now and we are both exhausted mentally. 

Who in their right mind decided that it was a good idea for a child to do a book report to turn in for the first day of school when they have never been taught how to do it before? Ugh...She is doing a great job, but she is tired as am I. 

ETA: Here is the finished product. I told her she is going to need to space out her words a bit more when she writes..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
berlgirl1224
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Yea, it's hard for kids that age to do stuff like that. I wonder how my mom did it with me. And I wonder if they taught it at a later age than they do now, when we were younger. Because I don't remember doing that stuff that young
LadyAmaranth
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Dang! Never heard of such a thing. 

plprincess78
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My kids both have book reports due the first week of school as well.  But they attend private school.  For DD who is going into 4th grade it has to be a full book report.  For DS who is going into 1st the teacher sends home a sheet with basic questions that they have to answer.  But its all done at their age level and age appropriate book.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Quoting plprincess78:

My kids both have book reports due the first week of school as well.  But they attend private school.  For DD who is going into 4th grade it has to be a full book report.  For DS who is going into 1st the teacher sends home a sheet with basic questions that they have to answer.  But its all done at their age level and age appropriate book.

Mine are in private as well, but in 1st grade they had not gone over paragraph writing as that is done in 2nd grade. It was a book of her choice and she chose Anne Frank, which means she had to go into more detail covering why she went into hiding...which meant going into Hitler, the war, etc...we are 2 sentences from the end of it now and it is almost a full page in length. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM

eeks I hope  DD does not have any book reports for her 2nd grade year.   Last year it was hard enough for her to write one sentence let alone a bunch of sentences.  I explained to her that a paragraph is a group of sentences which tell a story.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Sometimes we have assignments due on the first day. Usually they are meant to be fun and/or will be used as an "icebreaker", but I'm still not a big fan. There are so many other things to think about the first day!

Our school starts paragraph writing in kindergarten. Very simple paragraphs. They use the analogy of a traffic light. Green- tell what your topic is, basically; yellow- write about it; red- end your story. Of course, the K paragraphs are very simplistic. In 1st grade they really take off with it. That said, a book report would still be a quite a challenge. If your school hasn't introduced paragraph writing yet that is a pretty tall order and hopefully they will go easy on the grading! 

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM

DD did a research report in Kinder, but the teachers worked with them for weeks on it. They had to read books to research an animal of their choice. Now, the "reports" didn't look like what we think of as a research paper...not full paragraphs and stuff.  But the kids collected information about the animals, organized it (facts about how they eat goes together, facts about what they look like goes together) and wrote it down. Some just had sentence fragments around pictures, some could do closer to full sentences or even sets of simple paragraphs, depending on their skills.  But it was an awesome experience for them and my DD was *SO* proud of her report on dogs.  

I can see that trying to go through this with no preparation could be a killer...I'm sorry it was frustrating for you both. Having them assign a book report over the summer after they have done some in school is one thing, but I agree that having them do it for the first time over summer is tough.  

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Same here.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Dang! Never heard of such a thing. 

family in the van   Mom of four

aetrom
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM
We had some assignments throughout the year like that where i had to teach him what something meant.... Not my favorite thing to do when i am unprepared!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Try finger spacing.  Have her lay down her index finger between each word while she is writing.  It will help her space the words apart. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)