Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ineligible riders

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 29 Replies
today I got an email saying that ds 6th grader got a spot on the bus for fall. oh yeah!!!! and the bus stop is close to the house. oh joy!!! and the email went on to say where to send the $270. here you have to live more than 2 miles to get a bus free but you can apply for an open spot. hopefully ds 9th grade also gets a spot. im happy ds can ride from day one. I've never had confirmation this early.
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

WOW  i never heard of paying unless you used the public city bus for transportation.  Even then it was only 20-30 dollars a month.

calsmom62
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
well 270 divided by ten months is like 30 a month per kid. kindergarten through 6 is free if you are more than 2 miles. 7thru 12 pay no matter how far they live. we are equidistant from 4 elems two muddle schools and the high school. just at 1.25 mi from all.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Yay for the spot on the bus! Sorry you have to pay.

school bus

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

So glad that your son will get to ride the bus.  IMO,that makes life so much easier.  Luckily every student in our district rides the bus.  Rural area and walking to school would be deadly, not kidding.

MagicTemptation
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I never heard of having to pay to ride a school bus to school. 

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow, glad dd dont have to pay

calsmom62
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM
a bus makes life very easy for me because they leave the house a tad earlier so i can get off to work not rushed. and they wont come home soaking wet or frozen trying to walk along streets with no sidewalks in the dead of winter when the snow is piled up.

Quoting steelcrazy:

So glad that your son will get to ride the bus.  IMO,that makes life so much easier.  Luckily every student in our district rides the bus.  Rural area and walking to school would be deadly, not kidding.

calsmom62
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM
about 40 % of families don't pay because they are qualified for free lunch or food stamps. etc. so the rest of the families have to make ip the cost of everyones transportation contribution

Quoting MagicTemptation:

I never heard of having to pay to ride a school bus to school. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Our district just cut all busing for students who live less than 2 miles from the school. They can't even pay to get busing. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting steelcrazy:

This ^. I've never heard of having to pay to ride the bus- hope that never happens here, but I know they will probably cut the transportation budget before anything else. They already cut the kindergarten buses one way last year. We have morning and afternoon K. The kids that go in the morning ride the bus with K-6th, but used to have their own bus home at 10:30am. Last year there was no bus home- all parents had to pick up. And then the parents who had kids in afternoon K used to have a K bus to take them to school at noon- but last year they had to drop their kids off and then their kids could ride the K-6th bus home. It would be crazy dangerous for our kids to have to walk, even the ones that live within a mile. There are a few kids who live very, very close who walk, but the school requires that they have to walk with an adult. The roads are barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass, there is no shoulder to the road, no sidewalks, and lots of hills that can't be seen over until crested and blind curves. The other 3 elementary schools in our district would be ok with it because they are in town with sidewalks and crosswalks. Not out here in our country school, though.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN