Back-to-School Shortcut #2: Make-Ahead Breakfasts
No time to be a short-order cook?
Prep healthy, delicious and kid-friendly options the night before (or even a week or more ahead) and serve up whatever they want in the morning minutes.
- You can make a batch of homemade waffles or pancakes over the weekend and freeze them (use your kids' favorite mix-ins, or add healthy stuff like ground flaxseed). Just pop in the toaster to reheat and you're good to go!
- Steel-cut oats cook up in the slow cooker overnight, ready to be topped with fruit or yogurt in the morning. Combine 1 cup steel-cut oats with 2 cups of your favorite chopped dried fruit, 4 cups water and ½ cup milk or cream and cook on low for 9 hours.
- Want grab-and-go eggs? You can make these mini frittatas on a Sunday and enjoy them all week long - they're delicious cold or room temperature. Preheat the oven to 375F and spray the holes of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Beat a dozen eggs with a splash of milk (and salt and pepper to taste) and divide the mixture among the muffin tin holes. Then sprinkle with your favorite mix-ins (chopped veggies, bacon, shredded cheese) and bake until puffy and slightly golden. GET KIDS INVOLVED: Set up an assembly line and let your kids customize their own frittatas with the pre-chopped ingredients.
- Breakfast casseroles are another great option. Search your favorite recipe sites, make a few and freeze them (cut them into portion-size squares and wrap individually, if you like). Then pop them in the oven first thing in the morning so they're warm and ready when you are.
What does your family like to eat for breakfast? Do you have any time-saving morning meal ideas?
One mom who replies to all 7 of our Back to School posts will win a $500 gift card!
- Back-to-School Shortcut #1: Grab-and-Go Outfits
- Back-to-School Shortcut #2: Make-Ahead Breakfasts
- Back-to-School Shortcut #3: Create a Homework Haven
- Back-to-School Shortcut #4: Keep a Master Calendar
- Back-to-School Shortcut #5: Prepare to Keep Memories Organized
- Back-to-School Shortcut #6: Find Your Bedtime Zen
- Back-to-School Shortcut #7: Think Outside the Traditional Lunch Box
The Giveaway Rules
The Back to School Giveaway starts 8/12/2013 at 8am (ET) and ends 8/31/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to the 7 Back to School Posts associated with the giveaway with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $500 gift card to Target, Walmart or amazon.com. The random drawing shall occur on or about 9/7/2013. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.