Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Back-to-School Shortcut #2: Make-Ahead Breakfasts

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 718 Replies
5 moms liked this

No time to be a short-order cook?
Prep healthy, delicious and kid-friendly options the night before (or even a week or more ahead) and serve up whatever they want in the morning minutes.

• You can make a batch of homemade waffles or pancakes over the weekend and freeze them (use your kids' favorite mix-ins, or add healthy stuff like ground flaxseed). Just pop in the toaster to reheat and you're good to go!
  • Steel-cut oats cook up in the slow cooker overnight, ready to be topped with fruit or yogurt in the morning. Combine 1 cup steel-cut oats with 2 cups of your favorite chopped dried fruit, 4 cups water and ½ cup milk or cream and cook on low for 9 hours.
  • Want grab-and-go eggs? You can make these mini frittatas on a Sunday and enjoy them all week long - they're delicious cold or room temperature. Preheat the oven to 375F and spray the holes of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Beat a dozen eggs with a splash of milk (and salt and pepper to taste) and divide the mixture among the muffin tin holes. Then sprinkle with your favorite mix-ins (chopped veggies, bacon, shredded cheese) and bake until puffy and slightly golden. GET KIDS INVOLVED: Set up an assembly line and let your kids customize their own frittatas with the pre-chopped ingredients.
  • Breakfast casseroles are another great option. Search your favorite recipe sites, make a few and freeze them (cut them into portion-size squares and wrap individually, if you like). Then pop them in the oven first thing in the morning so they're warm and ready when you are.

What does your family like to eat for breakfast? Do you have any time-saving morning meal ideas?

school bus

Click here for Back-to-School Shortcut #3: Create a Homework Haven >>

One mom who replies to all 7 of our Back to School posts will win a $500 gift card!

The Giveaway Rules

The Back to School Giveaway starts 8/12/2013 at 8am (ET) and ends 8/31/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to the 7 Back to School Posts associated with the giveaway with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $500 gift card to Target, Walmart or amazon.com. The random drawing shall occur on or about 9/7/2013. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules. 

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tess on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Omh. Thank you so much for this.. I HATE making breakfast before school..
Amazing post!! Bravo!! (=
newbie1198
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

MY DAUGHTER IS A BIG FAN OF TOAST, AND BOTH MY KIDS LOVE POP TARTS

Dcjgar01
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Me too.

Quoting little.worthen:

Omh. Thank you so much for this.. I HATE making breakfast before school..
Amazing post!! Bravo!! (=

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

my kid gets free breakfast. (the whole school does) but i know shes picky so i give her yogurt before sending her to school.

countrygirlkat
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My kids mostly like either pancakes, breakfast burritos or cereal in the mornings.  I do make a big batch of pancakes and they last a few days. 

jhelmke
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

We do waffles and eggs.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ds1 isn't very hungry in the morning- he just has a little apple sauce and a fruit bar.

Ds2 and dd have toast, Eggo waffles, cereal, and occasionally Poptarts.

SuperPickle
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Slow Cooker Breakfast!!! Steel Cut Oats are wonderful in the crock pot. 

Waffles, Breakfast "Hot Pockets",  Breakfast Sandwiches and an assortment of muffins are things I stock make and stock up on for easy mornings.

JazzysWifey
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

yogurt is great too!

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM
My husband would appreciate these. Making breakfast for our boys before he leaves for work is his thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)