Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Would you allow a first grader.......

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 80 Replies

in the front seat with a booster? In the state of Georgia the law is 12 in the front seat BUT 8 with a booster if all other seats are taken by children. My car is not kid friendly at all the middle is taken by the twins. My dd has to climb out of the very back morning ( over the twins) of school and climb back in in the afternoon. If the twins go in the back I can't reach them...

by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM
if you have a booster since thats the law in your state do what works for you.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My first grader is in the back seat. She has to get in and out of the car on the wrong side at school but that's safer than riding in the front seat IMO. Airbags will at the very least, crush a 6 year old's face. Most likely it would end fatally. Not something I would leave to chance.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I never did- my oldest was a TINY 1st grader- in fact, my youngest at 3 years old was bigger than my oldest had been at 6!

I did take one "captain's chair" out of my minivan when my oldest was that age and I had 2 other little ones. I put him in the seat that would be right beside the sliding door and then the little ones in the back. I couldn't reach them, but could easily see them and if the car was stopped it was very easy to get back there to them without that extra seat in the way. It actually made it TONS easier getting everyone into the van in extreme cold and heavy rain because it created a "platform" area where we could all get in out of the cold/rain and I could get everyone buckled without hanging outside of the van in order to do it.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My son rides in the backseat as well. I won't let my kids ride in the front until they are 12. That is the law where I live.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My 8 yr old has ridden in the front. My back seat was full of car seats/booster and she was the oldest so she got front. My car didnt have the airbag on while she was in the front, and as soon as the extra kid was dropped off, she got her behind back where she belonged.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I wouldn't.  I just began letting my oldest ride in the front seat this summer.  He is 12.5 and taller than me.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM

In Oregon we dont have a law about the front seat and child passengers.  However, I dont allow my kids to sit in the front until they're 10.  I worry about the air bags. 

momto3infl
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I have and would-we had a car at the time that auto turned off the air bags due to weight.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I most likely wouldn't. It just doesn't seem safe at all. What kind of car do you have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Nope! Plain and simple!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN