Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

First grade worries!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 13 Replies
DS starts school Monday and I'm a nervous reck! I know nothing has happened yet but I'm nervous of kid picking on him because he isn't "smart enough." He has a learning disability and he has had trouble with recognizing his letters. He knows how to sign his ABC's but recognizing them and knowing what is what is where the trouble lies. I have been working on them with him every night and he has gotten a little better but it's slow progress. I know this is all in my head and no one may make fun of him but I was picked on when I was little for not being smart enough. I just don't want my baby to go through the same and if he does what should I do and tell him. He is very sensitive so I know it will break his heart of anyone did.

I have meet the teacher and explained to her about his personality. She seems very nice but I can't help but be nervous. He did good in kindergarten with the other kids and didn't have a problem with them. I just can't help but be nervous for him.

How do you get over the uneasy feeling?!?

Sorry if it's all confusing or out of order I'm on mobile.
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reaandiziesmama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all worry every year about how our kids will do. New teachers, new kids, new routines. You have the added worry of your son's disability. Just take it day by day. Keep in communication with the teacher and speak up when you think you need too.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Things will be fine. My dd is now 11 but she has a learning disability as well, she can only read at a grade 1-3 level instead of a grade 6 level, she cant tell time and lacks basic math skills. She loves schools and tries her damn hardest every year to improve. She also has strength areas, like science and music and arts.

It is a bit nerve racking at first, but this is what school is all about, to learn. He will get there eventually.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

The only thing I suggest is to keep asking yourself- what if he doesn't get made fun of and kids are kind? I have these worries every year with my oldest who is on the autism spectrum (double this year since he's going to middle school and will only know about 25% of the kids (the 4 elementary schools in our district come together for middle school), but he has never been made fun of that I know of. In fact, at band camp this summer he seemed pretty popular!

I can't completely quell my fears until I just see how it goes, but I keep trying to tell myself that maybe he will not only NOT get made fun of, but he might just thrive.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I think that everyone worries about their kids. And the "what if's…" can drive you crazy.

My oldest is a highly gifted student, but in 1st grade he couldn't read well. And frankly, he was the kid who would have eaten paste, if there had been some and the texture wasn't an issue. He flapped his hands. He was an introvert. But he is also a really sweet kid and everyone loved him; and generally they were very protective of him. The only time someone made fun of him, the other kids let the taunter have it.

Just be open with him if he comes to you with concerns or comments. But let him have the lead. And if there is a problem, you know how it feels and will do what you can to correct the situation.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Is the school working to diagnose his problems, if he has any learning deficits? If not, please push the school to get on it. The sooner things are diagnosed, the sooner they can help him.

I'm surprised they sent him on to 1st if he's having problems with identifying the alphabet. Kids here aren't promoted if they don't know their alphabet. They are already working on sight words and reading in kindergarten here.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM

wish i had some advice but i do think you are over reacting a bit.  kids really aren't as horrible as the media has made them out to be.  yes kids are bullied but no more than they've always been.  it's just more heard about now because of social media.

i work at a school with a special needs pre-k & k class.  we also have 2 mixed grade special needs classes & several "mainstreamed" special needs students.  special needs kids from out of our district come to our school for our services.  we have children that are severely autistic, blind, that have downs syndrome, paraplegic, & many other disabilities.  non have ever been bullied, laughed at or made fun of in anyway.  

my 1st grader has issues with reading & writing for which we are currently getting him tested to figure out where his problems lie so we can get him the right help.  though he was way behind his classmates in k & they all knew he didn't know but a small fraction of his sight words non of them every made fun of him.

children, especially young children, are much more accepting than we adults give them credit for. 

JTROX
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Is he on an IEP?  I can't imagine a school sending him to first grade without knowing his alphabet.  Our school system expects those going into kdg to be able to recognize most of the letters.

StephanieSH
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM

It's normal to worry. My son is starting middle school and I have had the same fears every year. Sme how we get through each year.  I have seen a lot more meanness with the girls than with the boys. My daughter is going into second grade and girl drama can be brutal. With the boys, as long as they have something like Mario or Pokemon to talk about they are usually fine and don't notice the other stuff at this age. Heck, once when my sn was in 3rd grade he had a play date with another boy and all they did was dig a hole in the sand for three hours and he said it was a great play date. I tend to over worry about my son because, to be honest, I don't always "get" him as well as I "get" my daughter. I don't have any brothers. My husband is always telling me that I over complicate things and that boys are "simpler" than girls with now they interact with each other. There isn't usually any long drawn out drama.  Know this isn't the case for all boys and girls and that I may be generalizing.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I tell all my kids, hubby included, that people will pick on you for all kinds of reasons.  Doesn't make them true or right.  They are just insecure about themselves and need someone to make inferior so they themselves don't have to feel it.  Everyone gets picked on, even the most prettiest, the most smartest, the most athletic, etc.  How you handle it, is what makes you.  ;)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Honestly, things have changed a lot since we were little. 

Students with disabilities are included in regular classes most of the time now. So kids learn very early that everyone is different and learns differently. I've been teaching students with a variety of disabilities for years and can't recall a time when any of them were picked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)