Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

bed time for a kindergartener?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 57 Replies
I have two child that are starting kindergarten next Monday, what would be a good bed time for them? The bus will be here to get them at 6:30 and they aren't really morning children. They are sluggish when they first wake up. Could be because we let them stay up till around 9ish. Anyway any tips on a good bed time and how to make mornings run smoothly are welcomed. Thanks in advance
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_girl07
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

how much sleep do they normally need? Mine needs 10-11 hours to not be cranky. We have to be up at 7 to get to school by 8 so bedtime here is between 7:30-8pm.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this
For needing to be up at that time I'd say a 7pm bedtime.
aj23
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM
My son is a grumpy mess of he gets less than 9 hours of sleep. The bus comes at 6:05 so I get him in bed at 8. He gets up at 5:15 and gets ready and watches some cartoons or plays for a but before he gets on the bus. He's a grouch if he doesn't get his free time to fully wake up in the mornings.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My dd started kinder last year and she just turned 5 this year. But All my kids go to bed at the sametime every night. 7pm on school nights and no bedtime on the weekends and in the summer. My lo ois 18 months and goes at 7pm as well no matter what. My oldest is 11.

My 11 and 5 yr old get up at 7am and catch the bus at 8:10am. And yes for those who will ask, my 11 yr old goes to bed at 7pm.

ProudMommy51006
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM
7-7:30
anonym00se
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the child.

My DD (she's going into second grade now), was in bed at 7 every night. She really needed that 12 hours. We had orignally had her at 8-8:30, but she was grouchy all day. When we made it 7, she was much more agreeable in the morning.

AMRios
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We go to bed and 7:30 and get up at 6:30... They like to take a bath in the morning to wake them up so they jump in and I fix breakfast...  For you I would say bedtime 7:30 and wake up at 6.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

We had my older 2 going to bed at 7, 7:30 the latest when they were in kinder. They got up at 6:40. It kicked DD's butt for a few years and she even fell asleep at the dinner table a few times.

DS2's bedtime has always been 8:30 for some reason. He's now going into 3rd grade and bedtime is still 8:30. And he's been getting up at 6:30 for what seems like forever because his siblings had school (DD was in kinder and DS1 1st grade when he was born.)

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM
My son is in first grade this year and bus picks him up at 7:30 am. He goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm and I wake him up between 6:30 to 6:50 am.

If the bus gets then at 6:30 am I'm guessing you will probably wake then between 5:30 and 6 am? If so I would put them to bed at 8 pm, 8:30 at the latest. And start the transition to the new bedtime now. If you find after a week or two they need more sleep you can try putting them down half an hour earlier.
littlepinkrose
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Try starting at 8.  The week before school make sure they go to bed at the early bed time and get them up at the same time you would if they were in school.  Make sure they get ready like they were going to school also just not getting on the bus.  That will help you see how they do and if you need to make changes and it will help them get used to the new schedule.  My kids went to bed at 9 and did fine but some kids need more time and more sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN