Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

5 Back-To-School Tools Every Supermom Needs

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies
2 moms liked this

Wonder Woman had bulletproof bracelets, a Lasso of Truth, and a totally rad invisible plane. Catwoman had a whip, amazing feline-leaping ability, and her speedy "Cat-illac". Yes, every superhero has tools that help her achieve the impossible and defeat those bad guys.

We moms are superheroes too. We know how to do impossible things. When our kid asks for "that blue thing that goes with the red doohickey that is shaped like a ravioli," we know a) what he is talking about and b) it's in the bottom left cubbie in his room. After being up all night because Kid #3 has the croup, we pack lunches, make a dozen cookies for the bake sale, and manage to not be late in shuffling the kiddos (the ones that feel okay) to the school bus. And, of course, we miraculously heal boo-boos with just a kiss.

Yes, we are superheroes, but that doesn't mean we don't need tools in that superhero tote bag. What do you need to conquer back-to-school time? We rounded up some essentials sure to make even gadget-guru Batman a little jealous.

-- A good playlist. Whether is some early Beatles hits, the latest pop tune from Carly Rae Jepson or The Black Eyed Peas classics, gather up a good playlist that can be used to motivate the a.m. donning shoes and backpacks, ease the car ride to school, or good background melodies for homework focus.

-- A well-stocked mode of transportation. As chief chauffer for the family, you are in the car...a lot. It needs to be well stocked, which is not only handy for emergencies, but also saves you money (you don't want to have to pop into a convenience store for a way-overpriced quench of thirst, right?). Make sure your car has a little tote full of granola bars, bottles of water, band aids, Kleenex, pen and paper, and yeah, maybe an extra outfit for each kid...just in case.

-- Your "go-to" outfit. You know the one: the one that never fails, no matter the occasion. A wrap dress that can be dressed up or down, a rockin' pair of black pants you can pair with anything, that cool brocade jacket that works with jeans or the floor-length formal skirt. Enviably you will have days that you will be rushed, so having that go-to (or a few go-tos) ready to toss on when the lacrosse game runs late and you were due at the work event 10 minutes ago is huge,

-- An app you adore. It's a little odd to think you would ever not be on your superhero toes, but think about it. There may be times that you are waiting, maybe seven minutes, maybe 23 minutes. Whether it is a game like Words with Friends or Candy Crush or a magazine or book app, having something always on you that lets you chill out and take a break is key. Using that time wisely to recharge your supermom batteries is essential.

-- A master calendar and info. It's impossible for you to do your impossible feats when you don't know what is going on. Find a method that works with you (dry erase board, phone app, whathaveyou) and put in all of the necessary times you and the brood need to be places - soccer games, Halloween parties, everything. Also, put all of those must-have numbers into your phone (the teacher, the BFF's mom, the ballet teacher, the pizza delivery place) so you can reach them faster than you can say "Holy iPhone, Batman!"

Share your best supermom tools that you use to kickoff the new school year!

ŠiStockphoto.com/marekuliasz 

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I have to say big yes to the master calendar!

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Master calendarS! I have several- general family schedule, school calendar, and meal planning calendar!

Dodie702
by Doriane on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Master calendars are very important!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

None of the above.  We prefer our mornings quiet, so music would be way over the top in my house.  I never leave food/drinks in my vehicle, ewwww!  My children ride the bus every day, so I'm not much of a taxi driver unless it is hauling myself around.  I couldn't survive with just one "go to" outfit either.  How tacky would that be wearing the same "outfit" every day?  I'm guessing that it is good that I don't live in the "big city", I can't ever recall waiting 23 minutes anywhere in my life.  *shrugs* 

I guess I'm not a supermom, but then again I never pretended to be one.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely love my Sandra Boynton Mom calendar! Only appts I'm never quite sure of are dh's b/c he frequently forgets to either put them on himself or tell me about them so I can. Or he'll tell me he has a meeting on X day, but has no idea what time. Men @@  : )

No music in the mornings, but the boys do have their playlists they like to listen to when doing homework.

I never considered any of my clothes "go-to" outfits, but I do have several options I pull out for last minute changes.

My vehicle might not be well-stocked food-wise, but I always have a water bottle w/ me, and usually have a snack in my purse. I do have a pad of paper, a Sharpie, bandaids, tampons, a razor (don't ask!), a tape measure, a tire gauge, and a stick of deodorant in the center console. Not sure if that makes me supermom or a good Scout : )

I must say that a good app or 2 can make a trip through Lowe's w/ dh seem to go faster : )

A sense of humor is a MUST!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I like having some entertaining apps on my phone, but I like even more having a book to read in my purse.
dballa
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My kids ride the bus in the morning.

I write appts on a calendar and  dry erase board on the frig.

Dont' have a go to outfit. 

I keep the car stocked with towels, travel potty, wipes, etc - that kind of stuff because my youngest gets motion sickeness.  I only pick them up in the afternoon.

I don't believe in over extending myself. So I'm not running around crazy.  It's not worth the stress and hassle.  My oldest is on the gymnastics pre-team and practices one day a week for three hours for now.  My youngest took gymnastics last year but didn't want to this year.  We gave her the option to take dance but she didn't want to so she's not doing anything for now.    I see other moms taking their kids to tons of activities and they are constantly stressing, tired and complaining so no thank you for me. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

HEY!!!

Stop stealing my thoughts!!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

None of the above.  We prefer our mornings quiet, so music would be way over the top in my house.  I never leave food/drinks in my vehicle, ewwww!  My children ride the bus every day, so I'm not much of a taxi driver unless it is hauling myself around.  I couldn't survive with just one "go to" outfit either.  How tacky would that be wearing the same "outfit" every day?  I'm guessing that it is good that I don't live in the "big city", I can't ever recall waiting 23 minutes anywhere in my life.  *shrugs* 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I am more of a book person if I have to be waiting. Or I am on CM on the Mobile.

Quoting Barabell:

I like having some entertaining apps on my phone, but I like even more having a book to read in my purse.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I like hanging out in your brain, it is a warped and crazy place.  lol

Quoting kmrtigger:

HEY!!!

Stop stealing my thoughts!!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)