Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tackling First Day of School Jitters

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

He has a cool backpack, awesome jeans, and his favorite lunch to munch midday. But, as he heads out the door, you know he's a little nervous. No matter if he's trekking to a new school with new friends or returning to a familiar place with the same buds, the first day of school can cause more than a little anxiety for even our tiniest kiddos. How can you ease those nerves? Follow these tips to help your child overcome the first day of school jitters.

-- Get into the routine again. Feeling prepared helps everyone feel more confident going into a new situation. A couple weeks before, slowly ease back into "school mode" with regular bedtimes, reading fun, and games that have an educational slant so his brain is primed and ready. 

-- Go over the class list. When you find out who will be sitting in those desks around him, reach out to a couple of his buds or new friends and arrange a play date before school starts. Having a few familiar faces can make those butterflies flitter away.

-- Talk about it and what may happen this year in school. Go over tricks and hints about lockers or gym class. Chatting about it and visualizing the regular day-to-day of school can help to demystify the big feelings he may be having.

-- Give him tools to use. Whether it is role-playing how to ask someone to sit with him at lunch or what to say to a bully, empowering him with phrases and words builds that confidence, which diminishes the nervousness.

-- Read about it. Especially a good idea for little kids entering Kindergarten or first grade, head to the library to read about some favorite characters dealing with the same situation as your child. Tales of how Dora or Elmo are a little nervous are the perfect springboard to chat about how he may be feeling.

-- Make sure you are ready too. Know the times and details about the school year, the teacher's name, and any other information so he doesn't miss anything. Plan out the first few mornings of school and reschedule your work meetings or appointments for later in the morning so you aren't rushed, which can make your child's anxiety that much greater.

What were your kids nervous about on the first day of school? Share your tricks and hints you used to calm the butterflies!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Stacey Newman

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mum_of_ian
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM

No first day of school jitters here. he loves school. HOpe he always does.

sukainah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

My oldest was a little nervous to start 2nd grade, just everything about it being new.  New teacher, new kids etc.  But he was excited too, so that's good.

My youngest started Pre-K and he didn't seem nervous at all, just a little clingy and hugged me a lot while we waited for the bus lol.

TerriC
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

They start school this Wednesday.  We are going to the school today to find out their teachers.  They seem so much more at ease this year thankfully.  We usually would talk about their fears and hopes for the school year and try to reassure them it would all be alright.  We used to buy the books for the first day of school, but they don't make them for their grades anymore.

TerriC
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

2nd grade was hard for my girls as well!  The youngest is starting 3rd grade and seems fine this year.

Quoting sukainah:

My oldest was a little nervous to start 2nd grade, just everything about it being new.  New teacher, new kids etc.  But he was excited too, so that's good.

My youngest started Pre-K and he didn't seem nervous at all, just a little clingy and hugged me a lot while we waited for the bus lol.

mum_of_ian
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

DS was nervous back in K4 but hasn't been nervous now. He likes going and seeing his friends.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

First day of kindergarten, so no "back" to school. Just the very first trek! He was elated and confident, so we let him lead the way.

arpazia
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
No jitters:)
jessicasmom1
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

no jitters here . DD is happy to get back with her friends and learn

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My dd doesn't start until next week, but she's not nervous.  She's very excited to go back.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
No jitters for my older kiddos

My youngest is starting K next week and she's nervous. I've just been talking up how awesome school is. We found out who her teacher was and now she's less nervous and more excited! So that's good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN