Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

schools can be so frustrating!!

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 32 Replies

i got a letter from the principal yesterday that if the 1st grade enrollment numbers don't increase by next friday, the 10 day mark, then my son's class will be dissolved & split into the remaining 5 classes.  right now there are 6 classes with each class having 18-19 kids.  so if the class was split that would add about 4 kids to each class, putting them at their classroom max, 23.  they've done this a few times in the past & each time they've done it they've had to reestablish the class before christmas because we got an influx of students. 

a kindergarten class is at risk of the same thing also.  two weeks before school started the k teacher was told she wouldn't have a class & they asked her what she wanted to do.  a week before school started she was told she would have a class, now she's at risk for loosing it again.  kindergarten has the same situation, 6 classes with each having 17-19 kids.

what happens to the teachers that loose their classes?  well they can choose to go to another school that is in need of k-2nd teachers or they can choose to move up a grade at the school which means taking over the classroom of a newly hired teacher who will then be sent to another school.  this has happened twice before in my 6 years at the school.  classes are dissolved & teachers surplused after the 10 day mark due to low enrollment.  each time we had an influx of students before thanksgiving which means new teachers had to be hired & students reassigned so classes wouldn't be over the limit.  it's all a big hot mess if you ask me!  it's not like the one class that's in jeopardy only has 10 students!  oh & we have several special needs kids at our school (they come from out of district to our school) while we have a special needs pre-k & k & two mixed grade special ed classes we also have many that are "mainstreamed" so smaller classroom sizes if beneficial to all.

in a state with low graduation rates & consistantly at the bottom of the national list i don't understand how they see maxing out classrooms is beneficial, especially with the little ones.  sometimes i feel like schools are run more like "for profit" companies than educational institutions.  they want the students to excell on stanardized tests, graduate, go on to college & excell in life yet they don't want to give them a quality education.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We had the opposite happen, so many children were enrolled that they had to create a 3rd kindergarten classroom and they shuffled everyone around which worked out for us.  DD got to be with the teacher she met at orientation rather than the teacher who was new to the school district.

**eta** this was 2 years ago.

JTROX
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

It's all about saving $.  My son's elementary has 8 sections of 4th with either 23 or 24 in each.  His biggest class had 25 in 2nd grade.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

23 kids is great... our schools have 30 in each class.  

I would assume that with fewer students, they can't afford  all the salaries.   They have to work with the budget available to them. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't be frustrated with the school. Be mad at your community/neighbors who aren't getting into school on time. It's NOT the school's fault. It's your neighbor's.
lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Quoting mjande4:

Don't be frustrated with the school. Be mad at your community/neighbors who aren't getting into school on time. It's NOT the school's fault. It's your neighbor's.

fault the community/neighbors?  can't see that.  it's people moving in & out that makes enrollment fluctuate, not a matter of people not enrolling their kids on time.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

yes, but it's the fact that every time they do this they end up having to make another class a few months later, yet again shuffling around the children.  placing musical classrooms isn't good for little ones.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

23 kids is great... our schools have 30 in each class.  

I would assume that with fewer students, they can't afford  all the salaries.   They have to work with the budget available to them. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting lizzig:

That's EXACTLY what I mean! They aren't proactive about their moving. School starts about the same EVERY year and moves RARELY are overnight. Your COMMUNITY members are transient and negatively effecting the school situation.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

yes it's all about the $$, which is why i said schools are more like a business now adays & not an institution concerned with the education & future of children.

Quoting JTROX:

It's all about saving $.  My son's elementary has 8 sections of 4th with either 23 or 24 in each.  His biggest class had 25 in 2nd grade.

JTROX
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I don't see it as a business, as they aren't doing it to make money, but most schools are running on limited funds.   It's too bad the kids have to suffer for the lack of funding.

Quoting lizzig:

yes it's all about the $$, which is why i said schools are more like a business now adays & not an institution concerned with the education & future of children.

Quoting JTROX:

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting lizzig:

That's EXACTLY what I mean! They aren't proactive about their moving. School starts about the same EVERY year and moves RARELY are overnight. Your COMMUNITY members are transient and negatively affecting the school situation.

no, moves aren't typically last minute but people do need to wait till leases are up, homes are sold, etc.  then there are those that relocate for work.  our district requires proof of residency so even if you know you're moving into the district within a few months you can't register your children at the school without proof of residency; lease/mortgage, utility bill, etc.  they are very strict about this as we have one of the better school systems in the area & some years ago they had several students out of district/county enrolled in our schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)