Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

He didn't get to eat?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 51 Replies
My son is 5 and wednesday the 14th was his very first day of kindergarten. He did go to half day pre k for 2yrs.

He has decided that this year he wants to take his lunch to school everyday, which is fine. Honestly, I feel that if he helps pack it, he's more likely to eat it.

On the first day of school after lunch he put his lunch box in the wrong backpack so another little boy took it home :( it was returned the next morning though :) but because he didn't have his lunch box he had a paper bag with his food. That is where the problem starts.

He forgot his lunch in his backpack so when he realized he didn't have it, he told the lunch monitor that he forgot it in his backpack. He was then told to buy a lunch. He's 5, do you really think he carries money? Also because I fall under the income requirements he should qualify for free lunch and I filled out the form. My son tried to buy.a lunch and was told he couldn't because he didn't have any money..

Here are the two questions I had about this...1. Why couldnt they give him a sandwhich of some sort so that he wasn't hungry? And 2. If that wasn't an option for whatever reason, why couldn't they give him a hot lunch and then send a note or bill home stating he owed that?

Both options would have kept a 5 YEAR OLD from being hungry ALL DAY!!!!

I was livid. I went to the school this morning and I was calm about it and I asked what happened and was told it was an oversight and it wouldn't happen again and IF it did I could speak directly to the principal. I spoke with the assistant principal today. And when she told me that I looked at her and said no disrespect ma'am, but once was enough, IF it happens again, I will speak to the principal and so will Fox 2 news.

I probably should have left the last part off but I was so pissed off and my son was punished too. Not only did he not get lunch for whatever reason, he then became disruptive in class because he was hungry and a note was sent home and he lost his sticker for the day.

**EDIT**

Since a lot of the same questions and what not are being said I'm going to try to clear some things up.

I pay A LOT to live in this district because of the schools reputation. It's clean, safe and it is also one of the top schools in the whole state for grades and improvement. My property taxes and just the city taxes are outrageous. The city sales tax is 10% , the average for the state is 6% . So, yes I get that his lunch isn't 'free' but it wouldn't be extra money out of my pocket. After everything I pay to live where I do and all the money I spent on supplies, does one child really need 14 glue sticks, and the party fee and the classroom supply fee that had to be paid in cash, the school can afford to eat the $2.20 it would have cost for his lunch. And lets not forget that is not what the school paid for it. That's just what they charge us. That's the full cost, not reduced, the full cost.

He is not allowed to eat in the classroom at all. No snacks. So regardless of whether or not I sent it, he wouldn't have gotten it.

He lost his lunchbox because he put it in the backpack next to his, which unfortunately is the exact same as his. As were 2 other little boys backpacks.

He forgot his lunch the second day because he's 5. He had it at school. The teacher did not remind kids to get their lunch, which she assured us she would at open house for at least a couple weeks to get the kids in a routine.

He was not allowed to get his lunch and when I asked why they said the.students and the monitors (who are grown adults) are not to leave the cafeteria after the doors are closed

One of the replies said that I'm now branded as 'that mom' in the schools eyes. Well I'd rather be 'that mom' than my kid go hungry again.

Some posters are acting like it's not a big deal. Here's the thing, growing up I got to find out the hard way what real hunger feels like and I swore my kids never would. And the school, the people I trusted his health and safety with, let him go hungry. So yeah I'm pissed and rightfully.so.
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM
It's an unfortunate situation, BUT there is NO such thing as a
free lunch. In addition, typically parents who don't send money aren't ones that will "pay up" when sent an IOU. You should have, if you haven't already, put money in his lunch account for emergencies like this. It's a rough lesson, but he will live.
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You handled that situation much better than I would have.  The school I teach at would never allow a student to go hungry under any circumstances.  We often have children who only get food when they are at school.  We are their only source of food.  As a teacher and a parent, that completely sickens me.  There is no reason EVER to let a kid go hungry.  When a child is hungry, he will be unable to learn. 

AustinRonMommy
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes there is such a thing as free lunch. I dont meet the income requirements, that means my son can eat lunch for free. I pay property taxes to live in the district to cover things such as that. They had me fill out a.form to see if he qualified for free or reduced lunch. He qualifies for free. They made a mistake and regardless if he will live or not, he is 5. He didn't understand why he wasn't allowed to eat. And again, HE CAN GET A FREE HOT LUNCH, same thing the paying kids get so I should not have to put money on his account.

Quoting mjande4:

free lunch. In addition, typically parents who don't send money aren't ones that will "pay up" when sent an IOU. You should have, if you haven't already, put money in his lunch account for emergencies like this. It's a rough lesson, but he will live.
ajdahd13
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting mjande4:

AustinRonMommy
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this
That's exactly how I saw it. I know his school doesn't do this, but I know a lot of schools send food home on Friday evenings so that the kids can eat over the weekend. I couldn't and still can't understand how he was let to go hungry. He gets to school at 815am and doesn't get home till almost 430 because he rides the bus. All that time with nothing to eat. That's too long for ANYONE to go without food, but especially a little kid

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

You handled that situation much better than I would have.  The school I teach at would never allow a student to go hungry under any circumstances.  We often have children who only get food when they are at school.  We are their only source of food.  As a teacher and a parent, that completely sickens me.  There is no reason EVER to let a kid go hungry.  When a child is hungry, he will be unable to learn. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AustinRonMommy:

That's my point. It's NOT free someone IS paying for him and while a mistake was made, it might be a good idea to put some money in his account just in case.
AMRios
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I am so sorry this happened to your kid... Here they would have let him charge a lunch and you could have paid the next day... It would have been easier to send him back to class to grab his lunch...

AMRios
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes our tax dollars are paying for it... The school makes more from the government off kids that get free/reduced lunch then the kids that pay... If it means a child doesn't go hungry I would pay for his meal personally!

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting AustinRonMommy:

That's my point. It's NOT free someone IS paying for him and while a mistake was made, it might be a good idea to out some money in his account just in case.

RADmomma
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Why didn't they just get his lunch from his classroom??

If you didn't feed your child from 830 to 430 someone could call cps & have a case... But if the school doesn't feed him you're just supposed to accept that.? I'd be furious. He's 5. Not 15.
AustinRonMommy
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Yeah me! I pay! Property taxes and such are outrageous here because the school is a high rated school. Me and both my sisters went there. Me for high school only, one sister for high school and middle school and my other sister all the way til 4th grade. This never happened to us. Like I said I pay taxes to cover things like this and books and not to mention all the other money I shelled out for supplies and the party fee AND the classroom supply fee. All the money they've gotteb from me before I even had kids and since we registered him should have covered the whole $2.20 for his lunch, and that's the full cost, not reduced.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting AustinRonMommy:

That's my point. It's NOT free someone IS paying for him and while a mistake was made, it might be a good idea to out some money in his account just in case.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)