Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Youth soccer..

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 17 Replies
Have any of y'all coached 6u (or is it u6?) Soccer? They needed a coach by today, so I volunteered. Any advice?

( I know nothing about soccer other then what i read online last night)
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I'm sorry, I don't. This is the first year my son is playing and he hasn't started yet.
Good luck and here's a bump! :-)
fkh8ah
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Thank you :)

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I'm sorry, I don't. This is the first year my son is playing and he hasn't started yet.

Good luck and here's a bump! :-)
Lottie925
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM

It's easy! You know? Just google soccer drills for kids. What you do is, you go, set up, do a warm up... different parents have different styles. One set of Dad's did a cute (but easy) military style warm up. They would have them doing push ups and set up. Tap foot one at a time on top of the ball, lightly run 1 lap. Set up cones for them to weave in and out of. Then set up other drills.  Give SOME instruction, little kids do not really understand the rules or why. Start by asking who has played before. Give a very simple instruction. No using hands etc.

You'll be fine! The kids just want to have fun. But do try to keep them focused and interested.

fkh8ah
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I found some really fun games to help them learn and keep them entertained. I'm just afraid if not doing enough or else doing too much on the warm ups. :-/ How long do warm ups generally last?

Quoting Lottie925:

It's easy! You know? Just google soccer drills for kids. What you do is, you go, set up, do a warm up... different parents have different styles. One set of Dad's did a cute (but easy) military style warm up. They would have them doing push ups and set up. Tap foot one at a time on top of the ball, lightly run 1 lap. Set up cones for them to weave in and out of. Then set up other drills.  Give SOME instruction, little kids do not really understand the rules or why. Start by asking who has played before. Give a very simple instruction. No using hands etc.

You'll be fine! The kids just want to have fun. But do try to keep them focused and interested.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
DH did it for a year...DD was in K so it was probably U6. At that age it's easy as they don't really keep score and it's mainly about having fun and learning teamwork. They did skills but mastering them wasn't the priority at that stage. You'll have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM
My husband coaches. But he coaches u12's and u14's.

I personally know almost nothing about soccer. Lol
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Explain the basic rules (no hands, how to score, etc). Then teach them how to kick the ball and keep control, practice kicking it into the net, have warm ups.
catevincesmom
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I coached 4 & 5 y/o's.  I'm sure you'll have alotta fun.   GL.  :-)

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

DS played last year (3/4 year old age group), but isn't playing this year.  Sports around here are a BIG deal.  Parents/Coaches took it way too seriously.  Parents were literally dragging kids on the field by their arms screarming and crying while yelling at them to stop their crying.  Just make sure that the fun comes first. I'm not putting DS through that again.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hold on, I will get you some links...

I am coaching U8.,.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)