Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Eating Lunch With Your Kid.. *EDIT* UPDATE WITH PICS FROM MY LUNCH VISIT!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 342 Replies
2 moms liked this

I want to eat lunch with my kindergartener on Friday. Her grandmother and her great aunt (whose the head of the lunch program) said to me it wasn't a good idea. She asked me if I could come Monday but I work all week (don't work Fridays) she asked if I could bring her lunch and we could eat together so I said sure.

When i was talking to her great grandmother about it she basically told me not a good idea, most parents only come during special events.

What do.you guys think good idea or bad idea? She will not cry and cling to me she has never been that way she will eat give kisses and hugs and go on to class.

Have any of.you eaten with your kids?

Excuse typos and punctuation problems typing fast on my cell.

Editing for those who don't want to read all the replies:

Their policy is open door during lunch, they have a special parent/child table so you CAN eat lunch with them. In our parent handbook it states to please come eat lunch with your child any day we encourage parent/child relationships by offering you a spot away from the class, if you want to eat with her classmates just let the teacher know in advance.

I emailed the teacher yesterday she responded with it was okay.

I was going to bring her Wendys frosty (we are allowed to bring them whatever) but after sleeping on it I nixed that idea I think I will pack her a small piece of chocolate though.

I don't typically work Fridays, but this will be one of the only Fridays I can I have a 2 yr old at home and many other responisibilities as Friday is my day to do stuff I am going to be in the area of her school at that time and she asked me to come Monday so I figured it would be fun for her!

Their cafeteria is different than any other school I have seen. They do not offer typical lunches they cater out to places like Chickfila, Cicis pizza, Noodles and Company, etc. they do not offer lunches through the cafeteria, catered until next week (they take 1 wk and 1/2 to get in catered orders) anyway so I pack her lunch until next Monday.  

EDIT:

NO WONDER SO MANY REPLIES MY POST GOT FEATURED! Sweet! 

UPDATE:

So I went to eat lunch with her today, some of you ladies made way to big a deal of this. We got to sit at a special table (along with 3 of her other friends that had parents visiting them) so she had a blast. My 2 yr old LOVED it because she got to carry her lunchbox. I decided against bringing food for her however there was one girl who got Chickfila and an ice cream cone (thought that was ironic lol) anyway we had a blast and I will definitely be doing it again (although not for a few weeks!) 

my pretty girl at lunch

both my girls. as you can see in the background other parents are eating with their kids =) beside and across from my girls were 3 other kids from her class! and as you can see in this pic she has her fruit and veggies since i opted out of fast food.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

How far into the school year is she?   I think it would be a nice treat and since she goes off happily, no harm done.  I have gone 2-3 times in 2 years since my dd will get even more distracted and not want to eat her lunch even more.   Our school also has various events for parents to come in for a meal.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
She will be in one week on Wednesday so a week and 2 days by Friday. I wouldn't go this early but she asked its her last day of bringing a lunch so I was going to bring her Wendy's that day. Starting next week she gets lunches at school...

They told me this summer they didn't want me to.come and eat with her they said they had their reasons but I don't see any harm she won't want me to eat with her forever so I wanted too while she is asking Lol.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How far into the school year is she?   I think it would be a nice treat and since she goes off happily, no harm done.  I have gone 2-3 times in 2 years since my dd will get even more distracted and not want to eat her lunch even more.   Our school also has various events for parents to come in for a meal.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I've eaten w/ my kids when I've helped in their classroom. It's not unusual for parents to surprise their kid by showing up for lunch.

You could double-check w/ the secretary on what the school's policy is. Some schools welcome it, some discourage it. As long as the school is ok w/ it, go ahead and join your dd for lunch when it fits your schedule.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM
We're only allowed to on certain specified days a few times a year.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Our school sets aside 2 weeks where parents can come to have lunch with their students. It ends up being a 1 week time frame for each student as they divide up the approx. 26 classes and 13 classes have parents come to lunch one week and the other 13 classes the next week.

During that week parents send in a slip and must choose ONE day in their student's week when they will come to have lunch at the school. (I think last year 2 of my kids were within the 1st week and the other kiddo was in the 2nd week.)

That is the only time it's allowed at our school.

Linagma03
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I don't unless there is an event. If the kid won't be upset and your being there won't cause problems with the other kids then go for it.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
They have open door at her school (technically.speaking you have to be buzzed in and identify yourself and reason for visit before entering the school) anyway i graduated at her school.so I'm familiar with the policies. They don't mind you eating with them I think some kids get worked up when parents leave but my oldest has never been like that. I did email her teacher letting her know in was coming.

Quoting wakymom:

I've eaten w/ my kids when I've helped in their classroom. It's not unusual for parents to surprise their kid by showing up for lunch.

You could double-check w/ the secretary on what the school's policy is. Some schools welcome it, some discourage it. As long as the school is ok w/ it, go ahead and join your dd for lunch when it fits your schedule.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Oh that's interesting. In our handbook it states parents are welcome to eat lunch with students anytime.

Quoting SahmTam:

Our school sets aside 2 weeks where parents can come to have lunch with their students. It ends up being a 1 week time frame for each student as they divide up the approx. 26 classes and 13 classes have parents come to lunch one week and the other 13 classes the next week.

During that week parents send in a slip and must choose ONE day in their student's week when they will come to have lunch at the school. (I think last year 2 of my kids were within the 1st week and the other kiddo was in the 2nd week.)

That is the only time it's allowed at our school.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM
They have a special table for parents and kids to eat together all year so I won't be bothering anyone lol

Quoting Linagma03:

I don't unless there is an event. If the kid won't be upset and your being there won't cause problems with the other kids then go for it.

AustinRonMommy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I haven't yet since he just started last Wednesday too. But I will mpst likely go and eat with him one day, especially if he asks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)