Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How to stop repeating myself

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 11 Replies

New here - so tired of having to tell my kids the same things every night, morning...brush your teeth, Jammie's on, lights out, make lunch, get dressed...day after day, I'm repeating myself.  Any tips on how you get your kids to get things done on their own? Thanks! Ages 13, 11, 9

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

At these ages they should be independant for these skills.   I would make a schedule and post it in a few places around the house.   Do they go to school all day with adults telling them when to do what?

My dd is 7 and she gets 2 warnings for each thing that needs to be done.  A countdown helps her IE-   We need to brush our teeth in 5 minutes, 2 minutes.  Now get in bathroom to brush teeth.   She will usually go in on her own to do many things but she loves to hang out in her pjs.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM
i started singing what i wonted them to do..they didn't like that .just say "ha u ..u know what to do do it"..lol...if they dont than they dont get thar teeth brushed or pjs on .thy will have to live wth it .
xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Make a chart for them to follow. If need be, make it magnetic and give each kid their own magnet to move along the timeline as they get things done so they don't end up skipping a step or two.
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:29 AM
or maybe wright it down ..and dont say any thing ..wen thy ask whats wrong give em the note.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Have consequences for their failure to get things done. I don't mind telling my son once or twice a night but at 7, he's pretty good about knowing what to do and getting it done without too many reminders. Taking away technology (tv, computer, Ipad, etc) is great motivation for my son.
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Good luck on that!  I have an 18, 15, 13 and 7 and I have to repeat myself.

family in the van   Mom of four

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Making a chart is a good start, having consiquences for not following the chart is good too.  Also remember that when you are asking them to do something, make eye contact with them and have them repeat back to you what you just asked them to do.  Many times our kids don't really heard us because they are watching tv/video games and we are yelling from the kitchen.  Mine have even been known to say "sure mom" when they really haven't heard me at all.  lol

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I ask the first time, if they do not respond and do as they were asked, they get grounded. Its as simple as that.

Sorry I dont ask them to do stuff I tell them, they have no choice with certains things.

I ask them if they ant crackers or a banana for lunch, I tell them they need to brush their teeth and so on.

My girls are now 5 and 11, I rarely have issues when I tell them to do something. But they know when the need to do jammies and teeth and brush hair etc.....Its around the sametime every night (through the school year)

I no longer have to repeat or tell them anymore. Just be firm and consistant and stand your ground. Maybe give warnings.

Like if they are playing or watching tv and its getting close to jammie and brush teeth time. Start with a 30 minute warning. " in 3o minutes its teeh and jammie time" then say it againg at 20 minutes then 15 minutes then 10 and 5 minutes and when time is up, just turn the tv off or tell them too or to stop their play, if not take that privilege away on the spot.

Oh put that in your initial warning. "In 30 minutes tv off (toys put away) and teeh and jammies, if not you will loose it for (so many days etc..)" and stick to it.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

This

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Make a chart for them to follow. If need be, make it magnetic and give each kid their own magnet to move along the timeline as they get things done so they don't end up skipping a step or two.

CafeMom Tickers
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

What about writing out a checklist of things they need to do.  If they don't do X then they don't get to do X. 

My girls know they have to have dinner, homework and chores done if they want to watch TV at 7pm.

At 8:30....I will say "okay....bedtime!" and they know that it means brush your teeth, get your book and start reading. 

At the same time....they are kids!  They will try NOT to do things but you have to maintain the routine and have positive and negative consequences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN