Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Supply lists (no, not one of "those" posts! lol)

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 43 Replies

Who creates the supply lists for your school? Is there one list for the entire school? Entire grade? Or does each teacher have their own?

I've seen people say that they started back to school shopping as soon as their school's lists were up at Walmart. I've never seen school supply lists at our Walmart. There would be probably a half dozen or so school districts represented by those who live within shopping distance of this Walmart, so I assume that none of those schools post public lists.

In our school each teacher creates his/her own list. Even with the same teacher, it can vary from year to year.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mickstinator
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

i think the schools in our area have a program similar to like, a wedding registry with places like walmart and target. they offer the school supply list on their kiosks and can be printed right there in the store. 

i ordered my son's school supplies through the PTA. they have a fundraiser that offers every item in a bundle with a small upcharge (like 5 bucks) for the PTA. i thought it was definitely worth the extra bucks since i didn't have to run around the crowds looking for that exactly set of colored pencils or folder dimension.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Our local Walmart has a supply list for our school, the funniest thing is that the district provides 99.9% of all supplies.  So I have no idea where Walmart gets this list from since none of the students would  need any of the items on the list.  The only things that we have to buy for our kids are odd or personal items, like locks for lockers, backpacks, lunch boxes, and any fancy supplies that they have to have.  The school provides pencils, paper, crayons, folders, etc but in just basic styles.  So if you have to have One Direction on your folders, then you buy your own.  lol

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Each grade has their own lists so our stores can have 7 "kiosks" with all the lists on them.  Some schools post all the grades on a single sheet.  Fun to navigate around the list towers.   We also can look on the school district website for an updated list.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Our local Walmart has a supply list for our school, the funniest thing is that the district provides 99.9% of all supplies.  So I have no idea where Walmart gets this list from since none of the students would  need any of the items on the list.  The only things that we have to buy for our kids are odd or personal items, like locks for lockers, backpacks, lunch boxes, and any fancy supplies that they have to have.  The school provides pencils, paper, crayons, folders, etc but in just basic styles.  So if you have to have One Direction on your folders, then you buy your own.  lol

We have middle school orientation tonight and I haven't seen any supply lists yet, but I kept thinking that I needed to get my oldest a lock. Fortunately, I procrastinated long enough to find out via a letter that no outside locks are permitted. LOL

We are pretty much on our own with getting the supplies on the lists. Sometimes a teacher will have a strong preference for a specific item- something like a specific brand of Bring Home/Take Back folder or a pencil box (mostly younger grade stuff) and would just have us send $1 on the first day of school to cover the cost of that teacher buying matching ones for the class. There were always many other items on the lists, though, that we purchased on our own.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The teachers collaborate for grades K-4 between the teachers of that grade level and they're the same supplies for all of 5-8. They may have some teacher specific ones in 5-8 too though. 

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Lists are per grade at my kiddos school
cindilou13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Each grade at our elementary posts a general grade list.  Some teachers may add or change things that are on that list.  I am not sure if they get together and discuss the things they all want or what!  Ours are never at Walmart but the ones from all the neighboring districts are, but ours are available publicly on the school website so I don't understand why Walmart doesn't print and post them too! 

I think in junior high and high school they are much more specific because they vary so much based on which teachers, classes, electives, etc. the students each choose.  You get a letter (well now it's probably an email, but it was a letter when I was there lol) a few weeks prior to school confirming your schedule and teachers and supply lists for each class/teacher.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting cindilou13:

Each grade at our elementary posts a general grade list.  Some teachers may add or change things that are on that list.  I am not sure if they get together and discuss the things they all want or what!  Ours are never at Walmart but the ones from all the neighboring districts are, but ours are available publicly on the school website so I don't understand why Walmart doesn't print and post them too! 

I think in junior high and high school they are much more specific because they vary so much based on which teachers, classes, electives, etc. the students each choose.  You get a letter (well now it's probably an email, but it was a letter when I was there lol) a few weeks prior to school confirming your schedule and teachers and supply lists for each class/teacher.

Middle school is brand new to me this year. Orientation is tonight. I know he will get his schedule there, but I have no idea if we get supply lists there (or at all before school.) Guess I'll find out soon! A letter came a few weeks back and had the basics listed- backpack, binder, pencils, erasers- but from what I hear there will be more to come, I'm just not clear on the "when" part. I should know more after tonight.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The school creates the supply lists, each grade has their own school supply list. I have seen school supply lists at the local Walmart. I get my list online from the school website so I never paid much attention to the lists at Walmart, but I think they have at least 20 different elementary, and middle schools in the area.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Our list is by the district administration? It isn't by the school itself. All of the elementary schools have the same list for K-2, 3-4, then there are 2 other schools that are 5 and 6th that have their own list. Then other school districts do it by the school and grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)