Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you have final say?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 44 Replies

If it was up to my son, he would wear his Nike shorts and t-shirts every day. I admit, I'm partially at fault for this because he has about 6 pairs of those shorts and tons of t-shirts. But they are used mostly for sports.

When I ask him to change into something else, he grumbles for a while but will do it anyway. Sometimes, I just want him to look like he DIDN"T just come from football practice.

When your kids are being stubborn about what they want to wear, do you usually have final say or just let them be? 

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoehlerBear1983
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
if it matches and its clean then i.let them.pick their own style. ds1 likes the sporty shorts and shirts and ds2 likes to wear a shirt and tie....everyone has their own style
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I deal with this exactly. I usually can convince him pretty easily to change his clothes if I find them inappropriate for the setting, For the most part, I let him pick his own style. My 5 year old LOVES sweatpants and tries to wear them in the summer. LOL. Not in Texas, Hon! I also make him wear "nice" clothes (which in his mind is the opposite of "cool" clothes) when we are going out to eat or to church. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I have the final say if they are dressed inappropriately. If not, they can choose.

My boys can't really go wrong. They have jean shorts and athletic shorts and a bunch of shirts, most of which mix well. My daughter would have more of a chance to go wrong with her wardrobe, but she has a pretty good sense of style and will ask my opinion (at least so far!) and if I don't think it goes together well she still takes my advice. If she were to become stubborn about it, I'd let her go out in a stupid outfit LOL, but I would be cringing inside. ;-)

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It depends on what it is but with something like that....i let them be.  I have a daughter that wears nothing but basketball shorts and running shoes with her school uniform shirt.  The reason her basketball shorts work is because they are all black...which is accepted.

RhineAndShine
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I have one kid who would wear the same outfit everyday if she could. She has a ton of clothes but you wouldnt know it. Bc of that i have to make sure what she is wearing so she isnt wearing stuff too soon together.
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Depends.  School and church, they know there is a dress "code" and they follow it, or I get the final say.  Anything else, I pretty much let them pick out what they want if it is clean, weather appropriate, and matches for the most part.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I have final say. They usually do a decent job of dressing themselves though.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I leave her be for most part since she is still figuring out her style.  She has come up with some doozies but as long as it isnt shorts in 30 degree weather anything goes.  Her school does not even have a dress code so i have my own like no open toed shoes are worn to school unless it is a special event and she wants to wear her "fancy"sandals.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM
This...minus the weather appropriate.. if they freeze or melt I couldn't care less unless it becomes a safety issue out camping or something like that.

Quoting anotherandree:

Depends.  School and church, they know there is a dress "code" and they follow it, or I get the final say.  Anything else, I pretty much let them pick out what they want if it is clean, weather appropriate, and matches for the most part.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I only get on him if his clothes clash so bad that I can't stand it. LMAO. I just suggest that he changes but in the end it is ultimately up to you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)