Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How secure do you feel your child(ren)s school is?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 47 Replies

My sons school only has one entrance and one exit. It has other doors in case of emergency but you can only enter from the front door and to leave you still have to walk all the way to the front and leave through the same door. They have other doors but they are locked. You also have to push a button to be allowed to enter the school. Its a video button and when you push it the person inside can see you and then either unlocks the door or doesn't. I am thankful that it has some security. It does not have any police officers BUT we live on a military base so they have to go through a little bit extra security to get on our base(not as much as I'd like but a little more than off post schools) so that gives me a little bit of extra security. I don't think I'd feel safe with my child going to a school where he has to walk outside to get anywhere(like the gym, cafeteria, library, ect) I like that everything is in that ONE building and the only time he goes outside is for recess. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I feel they are secure.

family in the van   Mom of four

TroyboysMom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Ds school is very secure.

PoehlerBear1983
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
ds2 school just placed bulletproof glass at the front entrance where there are large windows and the door is locked so i would say its pretty safe

ds1 is going to the middle school this year. i know the doors are locked so Im sure its safe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katieskiddos
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

We live on a military base as well, there is always a police officer at the school. I do not worry about my sons safety from anything but bears and moose but I know the school has teachers keeping look out at recess.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I feel ours are safe. We have to be buzzed in, all doors are locked so you can't get in (but they can get out), and you have to sign in.

mom2twinboys84
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I live in GA, about 30 minutes from where the incident at the elementary school in Decatur occurred today, so this question has been on my mind since I found out. I feel there school is fairly safe. All doors remain locked and you have to be buzzed in after showing id and stating your reason for being there. The issue is, if some evil person decides they are going to do something then they will find a way. Most schools have recess still. Our children may be inside a fence but they are still exposed. All I can do is pray that God protects my children.
LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I feel very secure about my son's school.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I feel my kid's school is safe. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I think our schools are secure. There is also only one entrance open during the school day (2 as kids arrive, though- 1 for walkers and kids that get dropped of by car and the other for bussed students- there are 2 separate drop off circles for each on opposite sides of the school.) As soon as the bell rings the doors lock. You can get in the first set of glass doors, but then you wait until the secretary ascertains who you are and why you are there and you get buzzed in to the office. After signing in and taking a name tag you can enter the main body of the school.

I just back from middle school orientation and it is the same way there, except that there is only one way in in the morning there- whether you are driven, walk, or ride the bus.

There are also no open air walkways in the school. The elementary used to have one when I went there- 1st-3rd graders had to go outside to get to the cafeteria (interesting layout for a school in the cold north!), but it has since been enclosed.

Bretnasmommy
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Quoting mom2twinboys84:

I live in GA, about 30 minutes from where the incident at the elementary school in Decatur occurred today, so this question has been on my mind since I found out. I feel there school is fairly safe. All doors remain locked and you have to be buzzed in after showing id and stating your reason for being there. The issue is, if some evil person decides they are going to do something then they will find a way. Most schools have recess still. Our children may be inside a fence but they are still exposed. All I can do is pray that God protects my children.

I agree if they want to do something they will find a way. I am just thankful that my sons school is not like my old school where you just open a door and walk right in

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)