Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Snacks and more snacks

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 85 Replies

I have 3 kids.  My oldest son is in 5th grade; middle daughter is in 3rd grade; and my youngest son is in 1st grade.  Their school asks that I pack a snack with them everyday.  Even the 5th grader!  That just seems crazy to me.  Don't you think that 5th grade is a bit old to be still having snack AT SCHOOL?  My husband and I thought that 3rd grade was too old for having snack at school, but my 5th grader came home with a note stating that he needed snacks sent everyday too.  

Of course, there is a specific list for each class too of "approved snacks" like Nabisco Teddy Grahams, Pepperidge Farms Goldfish Crackers - Cheese Flavored only, Keebler Cheez-Its, Apples, Pears, Grapes, Celery, and Carrots.  *Must be brand Specific and must come in original packaging* So I can't buy a large bag of Goldfish and divide it up among the kids, because she doesn't want anyone "cheating" and risk a food allergy.  THEN DON'T HAVE SNACK FOR THE OLDER GRADES!  

Certainly they can wait until they get home, right?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Our school has reimplimented snacks. They didnt use to have snacks. But the lunches r small now. so i can def see how they need something to hold them over in the morning. But heres the weird thing my 3rd grader gets snack and my k'er has to wait till her teacher discusses it with the principle. That doesnt even make sense to me! But it is what it is. The note we got about snacks was something about how we learn better when we dont go long periods with nothing to eat and thats why they have snacks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kids will be kids you gave them snack for school when they arrived home they will be hungry.  It all depends what you want to do what is best for the child.  For example my son gets snack during his after school program when he comes home He does not get any snack.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

It might stem from the fact that with the healthier lunches implemented by the Obamas, more kids aren't eating lunch and are hungry before the end of the day.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Our school does not have an official snack time for students but they can have a snack during their last afternoon recess.   Part of a healthy lifestyle really is having small meals throughout the day not just 3 main meals. 5th graders still need that snack in afternoon to help keep up their energy as well.

momma2b2008
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I've also heard the school lunches don't have nearly enough calories for growing kids and they also have smaller portions. But I'm not 100% on that as this is our first experience in elementary school and my daughter is in kindergarten.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

It might stem from the fact that with the healthier lunches implemented by the Obamas, more kids aren't eating lunch and are hungry before the end of the day.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I can understand the request for a snack. Especially if they have an early or late lunch.

Their bodies are growing. My kiddos are always, always hungry! ALWAYS!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Where I teach the portions are smaller for sure.

Quoting momma2b2008:

I've also heard the school lunches don't have nearly enough calories for growing kids and they also have smaller portions. But I'm not 100% on that as this is our first experience in elementary school and my daughter is in kindergarten.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what we are going to have to start doing because my grocery bill was a whopping $30 more this week and it was (mosty) due to all the damn snacks!  Three brand specific, individual sized for each child AND then they want something when they get home too!  Geesh!  All they do is eat!  LOL!

Quoting janitablue:

Kids will be kids you gave them snack for school when they arrived home they will be hungry.  It all depends what you want to do what is best for the child.  For example my son gets snack during his after school program when he comes home He does not get any snack.

twinplus2
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

My kids love snack time. I take them to the local shopper's club and/or Aldis to pick what they like best. Snacking is very social for kids at the younger ages, and I find that as they get older they enjoy picking even healthier options.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

The kids stuck w/ the first and last lunches of the day get hungry, so I'm not surprised. In fact, I get jealous b/c I don't remember getting snack at school!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN