Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new to group...update x2 few.obstacles on the way before school starts Monday:(

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 11 Replies
Its a new state, new school and I can't get a hold of the nurse to have a meeting before school starts. I called back today as requested and was told she hasnt started back yet. I'm hoping to speak with her by friday. Only thing is, we have one car and I'm.only available in the morning. If we can't meet before thhen, I won't be able to send dd to school.

Which brings me to my second issue. Mds broke his elbow on saturday. This saturday we go back to doc to find out if surgery wil be needed Monday. I hope not cause he will too miss the first couple days of school.

This year is not starting out good. Lots of stress:(

Update: nurse just called and we can meet tomorrow. One less stress.

Update2: had the meeting and it went well
This year she is not the only kid with diabetes:) she finally will meet kids around her age just like her.

I do have have a form filled out by the doc that I didn't get until then. Hopefully it will get signed and faxed before Monday. If not I will have to go to the school and do it myself until it is faxed in. If mds does need surgery and it is not faxed, then no, she cant go to school.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Bump
kcook55
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don't understand why can't you send your dd to school without talking to the nurse?

I spoke with the nurse at open house night

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Because she a diabetic requiring a more in depth conversation vs just sending her in with a note and supplies.

Quoting kcook55:

I don't understand why can't you send your dd to school without talking to the nurse?

kcook55
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I don't see that as a reason to not send a child to school. All necessery forms need to be filled out before school starts. Usually you can just pick them up in the office.

My kids school requires a form filled out on if anything needs to be reported to the nurse one of these are filled out for every child enrolled. If so you have to have a health/special needs form filled out. Also if any meds are required you sign a paper and the nurse faxes it to the child dr to be filled out saying its ok to give the meds. And lastly if the student needs any special diet you have to have the child dr fill that form out and parents have to sign saying its ok to follow the drs diet plan. Both of my kids have food allergies and ds is allergic to grass, red wasps, and pretty much all insects.

Quoting Lennyloves:

Because she a diabetic requiring a more in depth conversation vs just sending her in with a note and supplies.

Quoting kcook55:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Good luck.

I would have a hard time believing that the school nurse hasn't ever dealt with diabetic students before, but if you feel you must meet with her to send your child to school, I would email her to make arrangements.  Our teachers and staff find it easier to reply to emails.

Lennyloves
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Diabetes care requires more than paper work. Training in how to use a pump, knowing when to turn down insulin, no signs of low, know when to use a gulcagon are important. These things are individual to each diabetic. They are new people to me and I don't know what type of experience they have. So, no I don't feel comfortable sending her in with just a peice of paper with instructions.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Staff, except the secretary and principal, in our district aren't required to come in until the day before school starts.  She could be away taking advantage of her last few moments of summer.  Go in the first day with her and say you need to speak to her before you leave your daughter there.

confused0701
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

We had major issues in the past with the nurse and school here.  I plain out told the principal that my dd would not be coming to school until me, him, the teaher and nurse had a confrence.  Go through the principal it's usually easier to get the meeting set up that way. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

That does sound complicated, and I think I would also want the reassurance that the nurse knows how to handle it - and that she is there often enough, too.  I'm glad you have a meeting set up!

Quoting Lennyloves:

Diabetes care requires more than paper work. Training in how to use a pump, knowing when to turn down insulin, no signs of low, know when to use a gulcagon are important. These things are individual to each diabetic. They are new people to me and I don't know what type of experience they have. So, no I don't feel comfortable sending her in with just a peice of paper with instructions.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I'm glad you were able to get the meeting set up .  I hope that your son does not have to have surgery!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)