Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Community school supplies?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 128 Replies
3 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think that community supplies are fair?

Options:

Yes

No

Don't care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 123

View Results

I don't know if anyone else is dealing with this, but it is irritating! The school sends home a list of supplies needed. You go out and spend hard earned money on supplies that your child wants and then find out after school starts that they will be used as community supplies!!!! I do not shop to supply other people's children and don't feel that either of my DDs should have to share their supplies for other kids ruin!!! Only to have the teacher send a note home halfway through the school year that they need more supplies. It a bunch of BS!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
occumommy
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes i am ok with it. I would prefer all children be able to get the supplies needed to be able to learn, because i understand for some families it is difficult to impossible to afford. I would prefer of the teacher told before school starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I have seen throughout the year how many things that the students go through and will happily help restock as needed.  Last year they needed hand sanitizer (not on supply list) we sent in a big bottle that lasted the class 4 months or so.  We have also sent in more ziploc bags as needed and hand wipes.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I guess I've never had a problem with it

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My dd's school does a mix of personal and shared supplies that vary by grade level and teacher. 

MagicTemptation
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I buy the everything on the supply list knowing most of it will be shared. Then we let our kids pick out extra specials supplies that they keep in a box in their bookbag. (glitter or neon crayons, scented markers, pretty mechanical pencils, cutsy folders etc...). 

meam4444
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I guess I don't mind as long as my child is one of them using the supplies.

jmonroe65355
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My biggest issue is that I buy expensive supplies for my kids, only to find out later that they are expected to share with up to 5 other kids seated in their "group". I don't mind sending extra things like antibacterial wipes, Purell, etc. But when my children have been raised to take good care of their things and earned the privilege of having nice things, I don't want other kids to destroy them. I would have bought more inexpensive things had I been aware of community supplies when the list was released.

jmonroe65355
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Our kids are not given the option. The teacher made them empty their backpacks into drawers with their names and then pulled out items of her choice to be shared among the seating "group".

Quoting MagicTemptation:

I buy the everything on the supply list knowing most of it will be shared. Then we let our kids pick out extra specials supplies that they keep in a box in their bookbag. (glitter or neon crayons, scented markers, pretty mechanical pencils, cutsy folders etc...). 

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM
6 moms liked this

I agree with this.  There have been times when WE were in the situation to barely make ends meet and coming up with everything on the list made us (literally) cry, so we were SO thankful for the community supplies.  Now that we are more financially stable, we are more than happy to give to the community pot to help ease others that are in the situation we were in.  I guess, to me, it's looking at it from the other side, whether you have been there or not.  AND teaching kids to look at it that way too.

Quoting occumommy:

Yes i am ok with it. I would prefer all children be able to get the supplies needed to be able to learn, because i understand for some families it is difficult to impossible to afford. I would prefer of the teacher told before school starts.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

now you know for next year.  Buy good quality but less expensive supplies and leave the fancier ones at home.  We have to buy certain brands for some of the supplies just for quality sake.   I buy mechanical pencils for at home and if hte school does not provide folders , we have dd pick one out as well for notes and important papers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN