Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Second day of school and... UPDATE!!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 21 Replies
Dd came home on yellow! Grrrrr... Her teacher said she had trouble focusing and was getting very distracted. Very frustrated and not sure what to do to help her. Any suggestions?

Update: dd had a much better day at school today and came home on green!! Woo hoo!!
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kryjen
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

How old is she?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Since it is the second day of school.  I would talk with the child about what is distracting her and how important it is to listen quietly to the teachers lessons.   What grade is she in?   I would give it a week before any thing more serious is done.

momof2891
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
She is in first grade and will be seven in six weeks.

Quoting kryjen:

How old is she?

momof2891
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
She is in first grade. She said the other kids were distracting her. She wants to be a horse doctor so I reminded her that if she wants to be a vet, she needs to stay quiet and listen to what the teacher is saying so she can do good in school.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Since it is the second day of school.  I would talk with the child about what is distracting her and how important it is to listen quietly to the teachers lessons.   What grade is she in?   I would give it a week before any thing more serious is done.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

good talk to include her dream job.  My dd had a few days in 1st grade where she could not settle down for the different lesson times. I told her even if she knows the material that she needs to stay calm and quiet while her classmate learn the same things.

Quoting momof2891:

She is in first grade. She said the other kids were distracting her. She wants to be a horse doctor so I reminded her that if she wants to be a vet, she needs to stay quiet and listen to what the teacher is saying so she can do good in school.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

She is getting back into the routine and teachers are setting expectations, so they are being nice and firm.  She is a kid.  Remind her about behavior and don't worry a lot unless it becomes a pattern.  Everyone messes up sometimes and summer is very different than school.

momof2891
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I'm hoping that it is just a one day thing only because I had her brother with me when I took her this morning and I normally don't. I guess I will give it a couple of weeks and see how she does and go from there.

Quoting frndlyfn:

good talk to include her dream job.  My dd had a few days in 1st grade where she could not settle down for the different lesson times. I told her even if she knows the material that she needs to stay calm and quiet while her classmate learn the same things.

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting frndlyfn:

kryjen
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I'd ask her exactly what about the other kids was distracting then work on things to fix it.  You've already reminded her of the importance of paying attention.  I'd warn of consequences if it isn't better tomorrow.  Don't make it anything huge as it is still early.  After about a week or so though, I'd lay out the consequences if it continues to be a problem.  I'd also be talking with the teacher if the trend continues,  maybe she could get moved somewhere else.

momof2891
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM
You have a very valid point. I really hope it's just a one day only thing. She is having to get used to being back on a schedule and getting up early again.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

She is getting back into the routine and teachers are setting expectations, so they are being nice and firm.  She is a kid.  Remind her about behavior and don't worry a lot unless it becomes a pattern.  Everyone messes up sometimes and summer is very different than school.

momof2891
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We had a talk about it and I reminded her that if she wants to a "horse doctor", she needs to do good in school. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and if it keeps up, I'll talk to her teacher. She knows the consequences if it keeps up: no outside time, no tv and early bedtime. I'm letting it go for today since it is only the second day.

Quoting kryjen:

I'd ask her exactly what about the other kids was distracting then work on things to fix it.  You've already reminded her of the importance of paying attention.  I'd warn of consequences if it isn't better tomorrow.  Don't make it anything huge as it is still early.  After about a week or so though, I'd lay out the consequences if it continues to be a problem.  I'd also be talking with the teacher if the trend continues,  maybe she could get moved somewhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)