Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Something should have been done.

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 74 Replies

My daughter is 8 and she is in second grade. Today, when I picked her up from school, she told me that at lunch she had spilled hot macaroni on her wrist, and it had burned her. She told her teacher, and the teacher said that she did not know where the bags were to make an ice pack. She told her teacher again in the classroom that her arm was burning, but the teacher told her to sit down. I'm driving as she tells me this, so I can't look at her arm. I ask her if she is ok now, and she says yes. Well, when we get home she goes to her room to play, but a few minutes later, she comes and tells me that her arm is burning again. I look at her arm and there is a blister and around the blister, her skin is really red. I rinsed it with cool water and then I put aloe on it. The redness has already started to go away now. What bothers is that she told her teacher twice, and both times, nothing was done about it. She went the whole day with her arm burning. And then to top it off, when I picked her up, her teacher was on car duty, and she didn't even mention it to me. The whole situation makes me mad. I just needed to vent.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Ohhhhh I'd be highly irritated. A call would be made to the principal.

Im so sorry she had to endure that. I hope the aloe Vera continues to heal it and give her pain relief.

MeSegotia
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Go to the principle... that is totally uncalled for..
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The teacher should have done something.  Did the teacher look at it at all?  I know I burned myself the other day and it looked fine, but later scabbed over, so she may have thought it was okay.  I would ask your DD when the blister appeared and if she told her about that too.  And let the teacher know that it should have had water/ice put on it and it has now blistered.  See how she reacts.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. Go to the principle. She should have at LEAST been sent to the scho nurse for examination and... Whatever u do to burns. Go to the principal tomorrow
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM
13 moms liked this

And DON'T go to the principal until you see what the teacher's side of the story is.  Kids don't always give all the facts of the story and as a teacher I HATE when the parent doesn't ask me my side before flipping out. 

Mrs.Jones2314
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Quoting MeSegotia:

Go to the principle... that is totally uncalled for..

Yeah, I will be in the principle's office the morning. Even if they didn't have anything on hand to help her, they could have called me. I live less than 10 minutes from the school.

Mrs.Jones2314
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

And DON'T go to the principal until you see what the teacher's side of the story is.  Kids don't always give all the facts of the story and as a teacher I HATE when the parent doesn't ask me my side before flipping out. 

I'll talk to the teacher first, because maybe she didn't know it was that bad, but I still would like to be notified when things of this nature happen. 

lazyd
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

If the teacher couldnt help her couldnt your daughter have gone to the nurse?

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and she may be very unfamiliar with burns in general and it will help her to know they don't always look like burns first.  That is why a nice email will get your point across and IF she gets defensive or weird, then you know to take things further.  Otherwise she will likely be super apologetic and say she didn't think it was bad at all.  It is so hard as a teacher because some kids complain about health things every.single.second and it gets wearing.  That being said, I usually wait awhile before deciding who is just a complainer and who is actually injured!  I would have told her to get a cold, wet paper towel and hold it on her arm and would have checked in at the end of the day to see if anything more was warranted.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I would have given that woman a piece of my mind. That is unacceptable. She is responsible to make sure your child is safe while in her care. This would not fly with me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)