Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is so bad about Common Core?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 82 Replies
Can someone explain it to me please. I haven't done my research but all I heard is how bad it is. Personally I don't mind my dd not learning about Shakespeare( I hear so many moms mad about this being eliminated) and I want to know why are so many people against it. I forgot to add I didn't attend school here until 7th grade. I moved here when I was 12. I am basically doing kindergarten through 7 with dd now and to be honest I don't remember anything I learned back in school. I mean I will know when I see it but right now I don't
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM

From what I understand, it's not the fact that the standards are being nationalized that's bad, but rather all the other things that are added on to it that have nothing to do with learning or standards. If you Google it, you can find many articles pointing out the evils of Common Core. Personally, I have not yet decided.

ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I guess my dd's new school that we were going to transfer her to just changed to common core and they don't teach science or social studies and no breaks all day. They just have blocks of math, reading and writing. What a long, boring day and school year. No units on animals, or different countries or science experiments, etc... BS in my opinion
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM
6 moms liked this

Honestly, there is so much misinformation out about common core I don't think most people have a solid understanding of it. Most of the complaints I see on here are things schools are doing that are not actually part of common core. The way each school or district implements it is different. So many of the gripes I see are local curriculum decision, not Common Core itself. 

For example, common core doesn't say no more Shakespeare. Some districts chose to make curriculum changes that leave it out to focus on more real world reading instruction. But that doesn't mean Core dictates it isn't taught. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

That's what the school decided, but that's not Common Core. 

My school is implementing Core and that's not at all what I am doing. 

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

I guess my dd's new school that we were going to transfer her to just changed to common core and they don't teach science or social studies and no breaks all day. They just have blocks of math, reading and writing. What a long, boring day and school year. No units on animals, or different countries or science experiments, etc... BS in my opinion

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

At this time there is no common core curriculum for science and social studies.  It is up to each individual STATE to implement guidelines and testing for these subjects.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

The biggest complaints that my area is facing on common core would be that every student has to pass the same test, there aren't modified tests available for special needs students.

The purpose of common core is to align the curriculum/testing of all of the states.  The biggest problem with this is that while most states are having to increase their standards, there are some states whose standards are currently higher than common core and they will be decreasing their standards to align with common core.

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I guess I will form my opinion when I see it. Dd will be going to first grade and last year the teacher told me they will be implementing the Common Core this year. We are in NYC and eventhought her school is pvt it still goes by the state guidelines. All I heard from a mom at dd school was that her daughter had to explain her answer in math problems. Example 8+4. She needed to explain how she gets 4,8 and that will explain the 12.
scapermom
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

The 'marketing pitch' for CCS in our district was that it was a way to make kids more 'college and career' ready. It is also an attempt to raise the reading and math levels. But how they are doing this isn't really clear, except that they will be focusing more on non-fiction reading and teaching math concepts earlier than they had been.

Also there seems to be an even greater focus on standardized testing, which IMO is already way too much.Oh and tests will be given via computer.

My fear with all this is that creativity will be lost and with it children's imagination. They will create little robots and the future will look a lot like a George Orwell book.

The 'evils' that I have read about say that this was all put into place as a money making scheme. The schools are getting money for adopting this program and the people that created it are making money selling new tools to put it in place. Which makes sense because isn't it always about money?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

This article seems to be pretty informative.

I've sat in on several meetings at our school on the implementation of common core.  As of right now, PA schools are supposed to adopt common core for the 2014-15 school year.  The impleentation date has changed in the past and I expect it to change again.

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

True, true. Ten years ago, I taught in a district that did not allow anything but reading, writing, and math (elementary school) and it was awful. The kids hated it. The teachers hated it. This was well before common core.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

That's what the school decided, but that's not Common Core. 

My school is implementing Core and that's not at all what I am doing. 

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)