Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Life isn't always fair...

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 37 Replies

How do YOU teach your child(ren) that life isn't fair?

Do you always let them win board games and other games?

How do you explain that not everyone makes the baseball team/ dance squad?

How do you teach this life lesson to your child?

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

When my kids were little- I would help them/teach them how to play games. Once they knew the rules and how to play-all bets are OFF!!!!

mickstinator
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

They see that life isn't fair just by living. I am pretty easy going on my children since they are still really young. I want them to feel like they can do anything if they work hard and try their best. I also let them experience the pain of not always being the best at everything. It's a difficult lesson, even for adults. I don't know if kids just learn it from one instance, but more learn how to cope with reality when things don't go how they wanted.

Supervane
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't over shelter, life isn't fair on a daily.basis if you cover it up, make up white lies, or hide things then you prevent from them realizing it on a daily basis.
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM

When we play games, we don't let anyone win.  Youngest has had a problem with that and that's how I have taught him.

family in the van   Mom of four

eSamsMama
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

DS is 7 yo and the 3rd of 4 kids so he understands not everyone gets the same thing. But even my teenagers have a hard time understanding that fair and equal aren't the same thing

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a team of lawyers who help me make sure their life is indeed fair. In fact, more than fair. I make sure anything that could possibly make them unhappy doesn't happen to them. It's a lot of work, but I think it will pay off in the long run. Their happy childhoods will prepare them for dealing with the real world. 

hriabywx4
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM
"Fair" is what you pay to ride the bus! ;)
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually play the game the way its meant to be played. The ONLY game i may help her "cheat" at is the trivia persuit. If i know ahe has not yet learned that (shes in 4th) i will move through cards until i get a question that she has learned.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That's not fair! I can only afford one lawyer : (    toddler tantrum

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I have a team of lawyers who help me make sure their life is indeed fair. In fact, more than fair. I make sure anything that could possibly make them unhappy doesn't happen to them. It's a lot of work, but I think it will pay off in the long run. Their happy childhoods will prepare them for dealing with the real world. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I don't let my kids when games when they actually beat me and or my husband they will feel proud of themselves for their accomplishment however my oldest DD is amazingly good at Princess Candyland she creams me almost every time.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)