Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When the Teacher makes a mistake & your kid has to deal with it?....**UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 34 Replies

(ill try to keep it short, ha!)

Last year my DD started Kindergarten. At the end of the 1st week I was called & told they where pulling my DD out of regular class & putting her into the GATE (Gifted & Talented Education) class. I was beyond excited because I feared DD being bored at school. During the school year we had 3 meetings with the teacher. She was close to the top of her class, and seemed to be doing wonderful... We ask "Would she automatically be put into GATE next year as well" at 2 separate meetings, her teacher's answer was YES, As long as they found no reason, she would continue in GATE & only be pulled if she started failing or something & we would have a meeting about it first.

Well, our school is doing construction so the usual "Meet the Teacher" night was moved until 2 days after school starts, and the day her teacher called (mid-saturday) I was not at home so I just let DD know her teachers name & sent her to school... Well today was the 1st day of school & when DD got in the car today I  asked about her day & figured out She is not in the GATE Class!!!! Calls where made.....

The Principal tells me :To officially be in GATE you HAVE to test in (we were NEVER told this!). DD was just pulled into the GATE class when a spot become available because her teacher recommended her- but was never an official "GATE student", so she was not automatically enrolled in the GATE classes this year! And that she should have tested last Nov/Dec!! DD can test this Nov if we want her too... But until then she will be in normal classes  & this week they will be seeing if any GATE spots open, and if any spots do open  students will be pulled from normal class's into GATE class (again) if they have a high test score (end of year testing) ....

Im so upset!!! If we where told last year to test her in, we would have! Simple!... But now we can only hope a spot opens AND pray DD has the highest score so she is chosen, if not she will be in normal classes, meaning falling behind in GATE- and lowering her chances of passing the GATE test!

This is because a teacher failed to properly inform us!.... We asked the questions & got the wrong answer... Now nothing happens to the teacher, the school says whoops but my kid pays the price!......................... IF I did something wrong & gave bad info for the school, Id be in BIG TROUBLE!

What would you do?  Im so upset!!

Update:

Principal just called. They had spots open up & my DD will be in the GATE class starting tomorrow. :) Open House is tonight so we will meet her new teacher together. We will have her tested when that comes up & also talk to teacher/councelor more indepth about GATE to make sure its the best thing for her.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would hope that she got in... but if not I would supplement her education at home, asking advice from the GATE teachers to see what skills she should work on to keep up with the class so that when she has tested and a spot opens she won't be behind. 

tossed
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I ask for all information in writing and know the policies for special programs. My son's school did not use one standard for GT programs. There were other conditions for placement. My son qualified and I actually kept him out of the GT program. I had my reasons and the principal actually agreed with me. 

I don't think it is a big deal at her level. I think I would just find extra activities for her and make sure she tests in Nov.

tossed
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am friends with the founder and publisher of Prufrock Publishing. His company is the leader in the publication of resources for gifted education for teachers and parents. I suggest that you visit their website and see if there are some resources that will help you help your daughter.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with the highlighted portion. Also, our district has VERY clear guidelines on the website and in writing for being admitted to GATE/ALP. It's all based on testing.

Quoting tossed:

I ask for all information in writing and know the policies for special programs. My son's school did not use one standard for GT programs. There were other conditions for placement. My son qualified and I actually kept him out of the GT program. I had my reasons and the principal actually agreed with me. 

I don't think it is a big deal at her level. I think I would just find extra activities for her and make sure she tests in Nov.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM
4 moms liked this
She's in first grade. This is not the end of the world. She can test in two months.
illinoismommy83
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM

For those saying its not a big deal... bored kids act out. OP has every right to be pissed that the teacher did not test all of the children. I can see the huge change in my DD because she is bored to tears at school, but our gifted program starts at 1st grade.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

This:

Quoting AmiJanell:

I would hope that she got in... but if not I would supplement her education at home, asking advice from the GATE teachers to see what skills she should work on to keep up with the class so that when she has tested and a spot opens she won't be behind. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
10 moms liked this
That is a poor excuse for bad behavior. Parents who excuse their snowflake's behavior with "they are bored" do nothing, but make themselves look silly.
Quoting illinoismommy83:

For those saying its not a big deal... bored kids act out. OP has every right to be pissed that the teacher did not test all of the children. I can see the huge change in my DD because she is bored to tears at school, but our gifted program starts at 1st grade.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:48 AM

I HATE when I ask the questions and get the wrong answer! What else are we supposed to do?

A similar thing happened to us when DS was in 1st grade. His teacher was excellent, but as far as she was concerned, there were no gifted opportunities until 3rd grade. I volunteered once a week, so I knew as much as I could. Well, we looked up the state and county guidelines. There is probably some sort of district office of gifted services. It might be under Special Ed. In our area, a PARENT or teacher or the student can request testing as early as pre-K. If the child tests high enough, then gifted services have to be provided. I was desperate by the end of 1st. 

Luckily, I met the Gifted coordinator for the school by chance at a parent night. I didn't know there was one! She asked what I wanted. I said please test him and at least give him math enrichment. The county sent people to test him and he was put in 3rd grade math in 2nd grade. The school rearranged the 2nd & 3rd grade schedules for my kid! Depending on the principal (yours sounds like a peach), there are ways to provide a free and appropriate education (FAPE) for every child's needs. 

I would check the district policies. Gifted policies lack teeth whereas Special Ed has laws that back it up. However, if your district says FAPE, then go back to the principal and politely demand that your child be tested. 

Cindy18
by Cruella on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe the teacher was misinformed by someone else. 

Your DD is in 1st grade. Take a deep breath. I hardly see this as suffering, as you put it. She should be fine until November and as far as falling behind and not testing well, if she is truly as gifted "top of her class" as you say, 3 months in a "normal" class shouldn't be an issue. Find things at home to keep her motivated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)