Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hot weather dismissals

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 58 Replies

Anyone else having hot weather dismissals?  

We are having heat indexes in the 100s so school has been closing at 1 since there is no a/c.  I am glad - there is no way they are doing much learning when they are so hot.  Right now its 88* but feels like 100*!

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I live In Tn and our normal August weather is high 90's with 100% humidity. Quite a lot of schools and buses have no/non-working acs. I guess for us it is like when people up North are amazed that we get out in winter.
DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM
My kids schools are new buildings so they have air but there are some schools that get out early

Growing up in Pennsylvania we use to get out early if it was very hot.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Our district hasn't started yet, but yes.  Schools around here have been closing due to the heat as well.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

we are in texas, so 100+ degree weather is expected. everyone has a/c. it is impossible to not! 

my son hasn't been allowed to play outside this week because of the heat, but they aren't leaving early.

in past years, school has been delayed because of extraordinary heat. we have topped at like, 111 a year or two ago. i can't remember what it even felt like!

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Only a couple of schools in our large district have been dismissing early this week because they are the couple of schools left that are not all AC.  There are quite a few rural districts in the TV area that are dismissing early too--but here's it's 97 according to the weather site (and high humidity)!  Our school has had indoor recess yesterday and today--I'm not overly happy about that, but there's no shade on the playground so I can't really blame them.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
No,our schools have ac
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Our schools have a/c, so we haven't had early release b/c of heat. What's more common for us is a 2 hr delay b/c of wind chill factors on winter mornings.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yes, we could have that in a few months, too! lol  Funny the weather extremes we have to deal with.

Quoting wakymom:

Our schools have a/c, so we haven't had early release b/c of heat. What's more common for us is a 2 hr delay b/c of wind chill factors on winter mornings.

Mamie_85
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM
One of our schools is releasing early, because the building is 86 years old with no AC of any kind, same weather. 2 poor kids threw up in class yesterday, and they all have water bottles that they've been utilizing it's just so damn hot. Football and soccer practices have also been canceled until next week.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I can, LOL. I was visiting family in Oklahoma last year when it was hitting 116*.

Quoting mickstinator:

we are in texas, so 100+ degree weather is expected. everyone has a/c. it is impossible to not! 

my son hasn't been allowed to play outside this week because of the heat, but they aren't leaving early.

in past years, school has been delayed because of extraordinary heat. we have topped at like, 111 a year or two ago. i can't remember what it even felt like!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN