Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

i need homework help!

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 22 Replies
Last year my ds' would send homework home and then say it did not need to be done (she even said this to dh and I).

So this year he is expected to do it. It is only the 2nd day of school and we are already fighting about it. He does NOT have an option, but what can we do to get him to sit and do it. Last years teacher was nothing but trouble, but how do we backtrack everything (if the kids tried to turn work in, she would not take it). Desperate to get him to do it. We dont get home until 6, he wont do it at daycare with the rest of the kids, it is now almost 8 and he has done 1 question. Oh yah he is in 4th grade.
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I'm surprised something isn't different at daycare, that they are letting him go home at 6 without any homework done.

If ours isn't done before dinner, it's not getting done before bed.

Ugh. 

Frustrating.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a 4th grader. Mine's in 1st, and I don't really have to push it. If she wasn't interested last year, I let her save it for another day because all homework was turned in on Friday.

I think by the time they are in 4th, I'd be looking for a currency/punishment. I don't know. Maybe, no dinner till your homework is done? 

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

surprisedmom22
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Ask him

if he wants to take 4th grade over? 

if he wants to be smart?

if he wants tests to be a little/ sometimes a lot/ easier?

if he wants to be the one in class that doesn't know anything or the one with all the answers

Good luck mom. We have been doing homework since preschool. Grant  the fact that the homework was age/grade appropriate - but she still had to do the homework. And we still had to sit next to her while she did it.

Now in 3rd grade - she wants to be able to do cheer etc, that means she has to do homework when it is time to do it. On practice day, I let her go to after school care and do homework - then on to practice.

However, I check the homework when we get home and she corrects any mistakes (with an explanation of why the answer was wrong) and she asks any questions she needs to ask.

Bedtime ends up being an hour later than usual - but so far homework is done, extras are done, and even take 15 minutes to play a game of sorry to unwind before laying down...

Just some things I am finding that works at the moment. Good luck mom!

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, I would be taking away all privileges until homework is done.  I would also be contacting the teacher to find out what her homework policy is.  What consequences does she have in the classroom for when homework is not completed? 

This is something that needs to be taken care of right now at the beginning of the school year.  I would call the teacher and set up a conference ASAP.  I would make sure to include your DS in the conference.  At his age, it is important that he sees that you and his teacher are working together and are on the same team.  Together, you and his teacher need to explain to him the consequences he will face at home and at school for not completing homework. 

You also need to decide on some rewards for completing homework.  Maybe a week's worth of completed homework without a battle could equal a movie rental on Friday or Saturday night.

The most important thing is that you have set consequences and rewards for home and school and that he sees that you and his teacher are a team working together for his benefit.  Stick to it and remain consistent.  The sooner you start the better the year will be.

Teaching~"Once you master the art of facing a room full of teenagers, and come out alive, you can do ANYTHING."

KrissyKC
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Option 1:     Set your alarm, get him up a half hour or hour earlier....   the next evening, have him get out his homework, and if he causes a problem about it, ask if he wants to have to get up early to do it?

Option 2:    Realize that his homework is his responsibility.   Set basic rules like: No free time until homework is complete.    Keep your bed time set, bath time set, etc... don't change the routine because he won't do his schoolwork.   Just send in a neatly penned note to the teacher.   "Little Johnny refuses to do his homework at night.   We gave him time to work on it, but it's still incomplete.   I fully support whatever discipline you feel is appropriate and if you need my further assistance, please let me know."

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

This is why even though dd was in 1st grade she had to do the homework even though it was not expected of her.  She did need to complete any classwork as well that was not finished at school, it came home with her in backpack.  Even in 1st grade it was up to the students to turn in their work on time.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:42 AM
With a situation of saying,"there is no homework." I would implement the 1 hour minimum rule. If he doesn't have school assigned homework, make something up. Writing spelling words, read and write 1 paragraph about what you read, write or practice math facts, etc.

Either he does school assigned work, or mom assigned work (which should be equal to or harder than school work) or he has no other life. No sports, no free time, no video games, etc.
twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM
It is a home daycare, he is there 2 days a week. We are going to have a talk on monday about it. He gets a couple packets for the week, but wed he is not home until 8. We require a page a day!

Quoting clairewait:

I'm surprised something isn't different at daycare, that they are letting him go home at 6 without any homework done.

If ours isn't done before dinner, it's not getting done before bed.

Ugh. 

Frustrating.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a 4th grader. Mine's in 1st, and I don't really have to push it. If she wasn't interested last year, I let her save it for another day because all homework was turned in on Friday.

I think by the time they are in 4th, I'd be looking for a currency/punishment. I don't know. Maybe, no dinner till your homework is done? 

twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Thats a good idea

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

With a situation of saying,"there is no homework." I would implement the 1 hour minimum rule. If he doesn't have school assigned homework, make something up. Writing spelling words, read and write 1 paragraph about what you read, write or practice math facts, etc.

Either he does school assigned work, or mom assigned work (which should be equal to or harder than school work) or he has no other life. No sports, no free time, no video games, etc.

twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I am going to try and get ahold of her. Knowing how she was when i was a kid, i hope she is the same.

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

Honestly, I would be taking away all privileges until homework is done.  I would also be contacting the teacher to find out what her homework policy is.  What consequences does she have in the classroom for when homework is not completed? 

This is something that needs to be taken care of right now at the beginning of the school year.  I would call the teacher and set up a conference ASAP.  I would make sure to include your DS in the conference.  At his age, it is important that he sees that you and his teacher are working together and are on the same team.  Together, you and his teacher need to explain to him the consequences he will face at home and at school for not completing homework. 

You also need to decide on some rewards for completing homework.  Maybe a week's worth of completed homework without a battle could equal a movie rental on Friday or Saturday night.

The most important thing is that you have set consequences and rewards for home and school and that he sees that you and his teacher are a team working together for his benefit.  Stick to it and remain consistent.  The sooner you start the better the year will be.

twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
He says he doesnt care if he repeats, he is smart and that is part of the problem.

Quoting surprisedmom22:

Ask him

if he wants to take 4th grade over? 

if he wants to be smart?

if he wants tests to be a little/ sometimes a lot/ easier?

if he wants to be the one in class that doesn't know anything or the one with all the answers

Good luck mom. We have been doing homework since preschool. Grant  the fact that the homework was age/grade appropriate - but she still had to do the homework. And we still had to sit next to her while she did it.

Now in 3rd grade - she wants to be able to do cheer etc, that means she has to do homework when it is time to do it. On practice day, I let her go to after school care and do homework - then on to practice.

However, I check the homework when we get home and she corrects any mistakes (with an explanation of why the answer was wrong) and she asks any questions she needs to ask.

Bedtime ends up being an hour later than usual - but so far homework is done, extras are done, and even take 15 minutes to play a game of sorry to unwind before laying down...

Just some things I am finding that works at the moment. Good luck mom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)