Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lunch ideas???

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 28 Replies

I was pretty sure that there was a post in this group for lunch suggestions but I can't find it.

DD has decided that she really doesn't want to buy lunches this year, which is wonderful, but, even though there are plenty of options for her, she has taken ramen noodles or lunchmeat and cheese (not sure why no bread since she's the one who pitched a fit that we were out - I make sandwich bread for them to use)....she's also take soup a couple of times.  Last night she told me she didn't know what to take (I make her choose the night before so that we can save time in the morning as we get everything ready).

So....any idea where the post went or other suggestions??  She's almost 10 and has been packing her own lunch for a while now AND knows where everything is, so no, I don't pack her lunch for her....but every suggestion I've made she just makes a face at.....tween girls....argh!

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fnpdocgrrl
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I dunno about you, but I am very visual.....if you google school lunch ideas, all sorts of stuff pops up lol

graceisamum
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

My 12 year old twins buy their own lunch at school. My 9 year old who just started the school has a ham and cheese white roll, a carrot, a penguin bar of chocolate, an apple (usually comes back un-eaten) and a packet of crisps..

randomosityblog
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My girls like to pack cheese and sriracha sandwiches. They're kinda strange. Sometimes they'll mix it up and do spicy mayo instead. Or if they're really feeling creative it'll be a PB&J. ;)

cindilou13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Does she like wraps?  Pita or tortililas with cold chicken or ham and cheese or just veggies in it.  My DD & DS both like those.  My DD likes to take california rolls in her lunch!  Various vegggies with some hummus or other dip? 

It doesn't have to be traditional sandwich or soup or whatever as long as there is enough to fill her up and a good mix of healthful items for the most part.  We try to do a veggie or meat 'entree' with a fruit or veggie side and a cheese stick, and then one more 'treat' item like pretzels, jello, coupld small cookies, small serving of chips.

morgan483
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Hard for a tween, I'm sure. I'm not there yet as my oldest is just in 2nd grade, however, what I do for his lunches is pre-package everything once I get home from the store. Into containers/baggies, etc for easy grab-n-go. This saves time and hecticness. Suggestions for lunches:

Kabobs - grape tomatoes, meat, cheese cubes, etc.

String cheese

Greek Yogurt

Berries

Pretzels

Baby Carrots and Ranch

Celery & PB

Sandwiches (of course)

These things I tend to just mix up throughout the year. Hope your girl can find a lunch she loves!

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Thanks ladies...sad, but I was really at a loss with her.  DS is on the autism spectrum, so I guess that made me a little laid back - PB&J nearly every day with a juice box and fruit....until middle school, but he only bought the same few meals and when he didn't buy, it was back to the PB&J {sigh}...I will take a look online and run some of these ideas by her....today it was: beef ramen noodles, grape koolaid (sweetened by me, so not too sweet at all), greek banana cream yogurt, and a homemade peanut-butter bar (actually chocolate peanut butter)....of course, they both have said that they'd just have one of the homemade bars if they were allowed, but no, no dice on that one.....

Anyway, thanks for not making me feel like an idiot....usually she's creative and goes out on a limb, this year, she's stuck in a rut and not coming up with things, and my ideas usual tank...

mysweet1s
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

My 10 year old daughter loves to make salads for her lunch.  I stock up on a lot of different toppings, and she puts together a variation almost every day. 

She also loves wraps of all kinds.  Her fave right now is turkey, lettuce, and hummus. 

deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Salad’s with the dressing in a separate container so she can add it before she eats it, wraps, tuna salad, bread’s, veggies, meats, and cheeses that she can dip in pizza sauce. I have a kids cookbook that has simple and quick ideas for school lunches with photo’s of the foods that I will try and get a photo’s of and post so you can show her some of them and see if she would be interested in trying them.
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

that is exactly why my oldest son buys. texture issues are fun..... 

Quoting Larisa72:

Thanks ladies...sad, but I was really at a loss with her.  DS is on the autism spectrum, so I guess that made me a little laid back - PB&J nearly every day with a juice box and fruit....until middle school, but he only bought the same few meals and when he didn't buy, it was back to the PB&J {sigh}...I will take a look online and run some of these ideas by her....today it was: beef ramen noodles, grape koolaid (sweetened by me, so not too sweet at all), greek banana cream yogurt, and a homemade peanut-butter bar (actually chocolate peanut butter)....of course, they both have said that they'd just have one of the homemade bars if they were allowed, but no, no dice on that one.....

Anyway, thanks for not making me feel like an idiot....usually she's creative and goes out on a limb, this year, she's stuck in a rut and not coming up with things, and my ideas usual tank...

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Mine, even in high school, like finger foods. Chunks of meat and cheese and crackers.

Two like different.kinds of salads.

Pita sandwiches, regular.sandwiches, wraps and burritos all go over with my kids.

Cold pizza..lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)