Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Timed math tests

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 32 Replies

My dd is in 3d grade.  Got a note from teacher saying she was struggling w/ the timed tests, getting how many she needed in 3min.  I hate these things!! I know my dd can do the math, she's just not one to be rushed.  I've tried games w/ her to provide the answers faster, but then she either stumbles over herself, so to speak, or she gets so silly that the purpose of playing the game is forgotten.  I also think she's getting a little bored w/ the SAME math questions, & she loses interest.  Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this
By third grade the facts should be memorized so she should be breezing through them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LEY1307
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is in the 2nd grade. He has his first timed math test Friday. I hope he does good. We have been practicing a lot.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

She should be breezing through them.  If she's not, then she really doesn't know her math facts.  I can tell you that from a high school math teacher's perspective, this is something she REALLY needs to work on.  Just keep practicing.  There are websites and sheets that you can print off. Boredom is an excuse and will lead to not succeeding in math.  Expect her to learn them and hold her feet to the fire on it.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it rocket math? My youngest (who is by far my best in math!) always struggled with those. Often it comes down to how fast they can write (or, in my son's case, how much of a perfectionist he is about being neat with his handwriting), rather than telling whether they know the facts well or not. I would ask the teacher what she recommends.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Do these timed tests count toward her grade? Ours did not. My kids' teachers always said that the high pressure timed tests can be good practice to help them recognize their facts fast, but they were not good indicators of what the kids can do. Some kids can recall their facts quickly and accurately under normal circumstances, but when they are in a "hurry, hurry, hurry!" situation they are unable to show what they know. Also, as I said, in earlier elementary they are still working on forming the letters and are always being told that neatness counts, so that can hinder how fast they go. My kids started rocket math in 1st grade- 1st graders are not notorious for being able to write really fast. lol

I do think it can be good practice if it is made to be fun and not "high stakes" (as in counting toward their grade- or at least not much of their grade!)

catevincesmom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I don't think they count towards grade.  I think it's gettin' 'em ready for the standardized tests. Dd said that her K teacher once  said it was neg. something degrees outside.  One kid asked what a neg. # was. Once she started learning to add/subtract, she started adding/subtracting positive & negative nos.  That, along w/ watching her eat, makes me wonder if it's not that she's not getting the facts-it's just she doesn't like to be rushed, period.

Quoting SahmTam:

Do these timed tests count toward her grade? Ours did not. My kids' teachers always said that the high pressure timed tests can be good practice to help them recognize their facts fast, but they were not good indicators of what the kids can do. Some kids can recall their facts quickly and accurately under normal circumstances, but when they are in a "hurry, hurry, hurry!" situation they are unable to show what they know. Also, as I said, in earlier elementary they are still working on forming the letters and are always being told that neatness counts, so that can hinder how fast they go. My kids started rocket math in 1st grade- 1st graders are not notorious for being able to write really fast. lol

I do think it can be good practice if it is made to be fun and not "high stakes" (as in counting toward their grade- or at least not much of their grade!)

meam4444
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Practice is all I can suggest.j

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Practice and if you can get the actual sheet she needs to master.  DD had these in 1st grade and if she "failed"one, i would get a copy of it to practice at home with.  Some things in school will be boring but that is no reason to fail at them or ignore those lessons.

gregheather
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Has she tried the Xtra Math program? It is timed.

SaraBethKY
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I always felt bullied into doing these as a teacher. I get that kids need to be able to think quickly as it helps them later on with more complex problems, however I don't really believe in how much pressure is put on them for the timed tests. 

If you let her use the internet you can find several sites with timed games. She might be more interested in that. You can have her make her own set of flashcards out of index cards. Making them herself as opposed to buying a set is just another way to get the facts into her brain.

Good luck momma! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN