Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

PB

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am the mother of two children with peanut allergies! It can be really fatal and will cause anaphylaxis in my youngest daughter!
I don't think that your son should be made to sit with the teacher, but then maybe your school should not allow peanut butter!
My daughters school is not peanut free, which is unfortunate and I've had a few near fatalities with classmates and their snacks!
My girls know to stay away from anyone with PB

I think kids should eat PB at home
If you were the mom of a child with PB allergies, then you'd feel the same way also!
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckystars2012
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
6 moms liked this
Actually no I wouldn't feel the same way, I would teach my child to manage her allergies properly, and sit at a different table. Or I would homeschool.

Your child dietary needs should not cause an inconvenience for an entire student body. The world is not peanut free, and kids with allergies need to learn to manage them safely.

Parent your child according to their needs, don't ask ther to parent their kids according to your child's needs.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Goodness people, PB is not a right.  There are other foods to eat.  Kids do have a right to a public education without fear of getting deathly sick or dieing.

I don't have experience with other environments & the risk of exposure to PB, but I suspect they are a lot easier to manage than a school/cafeteria environment.

sissy502
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It's only peanut butter.... good grief.

Cupcake isn't going die without it.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'm sorry your daughter deals with something so severe! I agree with you that when there are kids so severe in a school PB should just be banned. It's not just a matter of the allergic child being educated and careful and sitting elsewhere in the cafeteria-- if any child who had PB does not thoroughly wash their hands and has even a tiny amount of oil left on them, that can be transferred the classroom- to a desk or book or any number of other things that multiple kids would be touching.

I can't wrap my head around some of the selfish, entitled attitudes on CM regarding allergies.

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Use to it here.  It is banned both peanut products and tree nut products in all schools in the province.  Most sports organizations have even banned it from the sidelines and all arenas ask that it not be brought into the dressing rooms.  Most day camps have banned it as well - both public and private. 

I do not have a problem with it being banned - there are many other options out there that do not included nut products.  There is no way it is an inconvenience for anyone it is simple to provide a lunch/snack without these products.

xoxRachelxox
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
4 moms liked this

I personally don't think it's a big deal to not send PB for my kids. There are other things they can eat.

The problem is... kids that go to a school that allows peanut butter shouldn't have to sit at a seperate table because they brought it in. There should be an allergy table for kids to sit at if they can't be near peanut butter.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Good Lord let's beat a dead horse!...
jackiewal10
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Is there a reason that you are replying to a specific post with a NEW post?  Rather than just commenting in the comments of THAT post??

I am not the parent of a child with such allergies, but no, I don't believe the way you do.  I am not and will never be the kind of person who thinks that the entire country needs to change their habits for the smallest percentage of people who do have an issue. 

jackiewal10
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

With a child THAT allergic though, you run that risk whether there is PB in the school or not. What about kids who eat PB at home in the morning before school and don't wash their hands afterward?  What if PB gets on a child's shirt or pants at breakfast and no one notices?  Then there is PB in the school whether it is purposely brought there or not. 

Quoting SahmTam:

I'm sorry your daughter deals with something so severe! I agree with you that when there are kids so severe in a school PB should just be banned. It's not just a matter of the allergic child being educated and careful and sitting elsewhere in the cafeteria-- if any child who had PB does not thoroughly wash their hands and has even a tiny amount of oil left on them, that can be transferred the classroom- to a desk or book or any number of other things that multiple kids would be touching.

I can't wrap my head around some of the selfish, entitled attitudes on CM regarding allergies.

Mamalovestwo
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously, GET OVER LADY! I wasn't sayin that my kid has the right to sit next to your allergic child and share his freaken lunch with her. It wasn't even about that. I'm fine it he has to sit in a different table as long as it wasn't also the naughty kid table, I said that. HIS school has a bad way of going about it and they need to find a better way like a peanut free table or row whatever. At the end of the day it is not banned in his school and the school even serves it daily which is not at all my problem. Move on! Over 600 replies to my post all where repeating the same argument, if you want something done for the benefit of your allergic child go and do it! No one is stoping you, go talk to the school board, protest. I can't guarantee it will be easy for you as you can see parents have firm stands on both sides of the subject but instead of continuing to BITCH on Cafe mom get off your ass and go actually do something about it. I for one have set up an appointment to talk to his teacher, I want to find out how severe his classmates allergy is and I want to discuss having the kids with PB not sit with the naughty kids. But have fun continuing to beat a dead horse!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)