Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How to address discipline problems at school, need advice

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 2 Replies
DS is in 2nd grade and keeps getting notes home from school saying he's talking in class, being disruptive and not getting his work done. He says it's hard, but when we do it at home with him he knows it. I think some of the problem is he is bored. But he still has to get it done and not disrupt the other students.
We have tried taking things away, getting onto him, sitting and talking with him, rewarding him for no notes home... we don't know what else to try. It's so frustrating.
Any suggestions?
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MidnightSun327
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Some things that worked for my son (who is in 4th now, but was a behavior problem every year but this one)
Lemon heads, the sour candy does something to help kids concentrate, sounds silly but works, when he behaves, I put a sticker on his agenda book for the day, when he comes home I control the TV remote if he doesn't behave in school, he always has a book or educational magazine that the teacher allows him to read if he has finished all his work, one teacher last year gave him extra computer time when he behaves and finishes his work correctly, if he behaves all week he gets to help me bake a from scratch cake in his choice of flavor on Friday, we go to the zoo if he behaves all week, or the dollar movies or living history museum (things he enjoys). It just takes some creativity.
Good luck!

nw1125
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I have a son in 3rd grade and I COMEPLETELY relate. Ever since 1st grade this has been a struggle. Not because he is bad but because he is a boy and sitting still quietly for 7 hours is impossible. We have been blessed by understanding teachers who let kids road about the room (and not necessarily sit still all day). I think this issue is more a teacher problem then your child. Does this teacher have a son? I know last year my son's teacher had 2 mouse like girls and could not relate to a boy AT ALL. As a matter of fact we can write and request what kind of personality we want in a teacher and I always say it has to be a mom to a boy and have flexibility within her classroom. Not all kids learn the same. My son would read his chapter books all day and still consumed all of the lesson plans, SUPER smart.. I hope this helps you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)