Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Starting the year with an IEP

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 25 Replies

Since ds was evaluated in the middle of last year, we haven't yet begun a school year with an IEP.  I'm wondering how the classroom teacher is made aware of the requirements of it.  Does the school handle it?  Should I schedule a meeting with the teacher in the first few weeks?  We do not have 'meet the teacher' nights or anything like that and I'm not going to try to talk to them on the first morning when everything's chaotic.  I'm imagining that the school would take care of it, but I don't want to assume.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephanieSH
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I would think that the school would apprise the teacher of all children with IEPs and 504s and then provide him or her with the documents for review. I would schedule a meeting though just to touch base with the teacher.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Our school does take care of it, but I've always started each year keeping in touch with the teacher via email. I do get to meet the teachers at Back to School Night, though. Open communication from the start is a great thing! This will be my oldest son's 7th full year with an IEP- some years went well from the start and some years we needed a meeting before his annual meeting to revamp things.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I school will take care of it. If they feel the need to meet with you. They will set a time to do that.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thanks!  I figured it was something the school would handle, but my luck, they wouldn't and then I'd feel like a complete arse!  I'll most likely ask to meet with the teacher at some point to discuss any tweeks we may need to make for this year.  It's nice to have an idea if it's a 'I need to schedule something right away so they're aware of what's going on' or 'it can wait a couple weeks until everyone's settled into a routine'.  :)

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

As a SPED teacher I am required to give every Gen Ed. teacher an IEP summary of any students in their class with special services. I go over their accommodations, academic needs, and give a breakdown of their service minutes and who they will be seen by, etc.

zadesmom1998
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Never assume the school will do anything. Both my boys are on ieps. Ds 15 will be on one till he graduates. Ds 9 will come off his this year. We have finally found a school that is on top of special education issues. Wonderful caring teachers. But this is their 3rd school district. We researched this school district and even did interviews with some of the staff before moving. Personally, I would just set up an appointment with the teacher as close to the beginning of the year as possible to discuss issues with your child.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Yes the teacher does know but it helps to remind him/her as well.   I still want to schedule a meeting with teacher in the first few weeks to get on same page with her. Right now our teacher pages are down so i can not email until we get additional info on ice cream social night.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I'm sure every school is different. But at ours the students IEPs are online where they are created, a copy of everything is given to classroom teacher, and a copy is housed in the office. 

We get a sign off sheet that lists all the accommodations as well. 

SaraBethKY
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Definitely don't assume anything having to do with school haha.

I always met with the special ed team and at least one parent when I was getting a student who already had an IEP within the first week or two of school. I would ask whoever coordinates the IEP's, probably the head of the special ed dept. 

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM

In every school I have worked for, we are given the IEP and info from each child's case manager (sped teacher) prior to school starting.  That being said, it is typically a new case manager from year to year, so a nice intro with some information from the parent isn't a bad thing, especially one that is positive and supportive, but gives necessary information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN