Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much is too much or not enough, school clothes?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 27 Replies

I have a problem with my husband and clothes shopping.  I don't know if he is just a cheapskate tightwad or if he's just plain selfish or clueless. This summer he only allowed my 10 yr old 2 pairs of gym type shorts and one tshirt and some flip flops for her summer wardrobe. When I bought her clothes we bought much more than that because she's not hard on her clothes and some things would be incorporated into her back to school wardrobe. We live in Texas and it's still vey hot here and will be for at least another 2 months before we see weather suitable for long pants. I had a hard time finding shorts and capris for her to wear to school. I had to argue with him to get him to buy her the 3 pairs of capris I finally found, one pair of skinny jeans and one pair of bermuda shorts I could find and the 5 tshirts. Then when I told him next payday we needed to buy her shoes, bras, panties, socks, and a school bag (she had her old one since kdg.) He had a fit and wanted to know why she needed so much. The shorts and capris were on clearance. We didn't pay much for what we bought, I'm a serious bargain hunter. We didn't have to buy much school supplies because I bought in bulk when I still had  my older kids at home. I probably wont have to buy much ever again since i have several cases of loose leaf paper, spirals, comp books, pencils and those plastic pocket folders.  Was this too much to buy? We are not low income, not rich either but We make enough to pay our bills and live. I hate to tell him she needs a jacket for fall and a coat for the cold weather and will need a few pairs of long pants sometime around mid november. What do you buy for school clothes? Can they get through a week without doing laundry?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I bought enough for my DD to go 2 weeks without doing laundry.  She's my only and way too spoiled.  

orliesmom
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Yes all my kids can go a full 7 days without doing laundry at least. In combination with older clothes they csn go longer. Your hubby sound like an ass IMO sorry.
bc19
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I bought enough uniforms for two weeks as well. Mostly shorts, but a few pants in case it rains. He has 7 shirts, and I need to go buy him some more, 6 pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of pants, two packs of socks, two pairs of new shoes, bookbag, lunch box, all his school supplies, and I still need to go get a new pack of underwear. Once October comes around I need to get him a new jacket, some more pants, long sleeved shirts, and maybe some undershirts.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM

My kids a full new wardrobe every September. From shoes to coats to boots to pants, shirts, sweaters and so on.

I would never let whats going on with your dh ever happen in my life. Sorry but that is crazy, having a fit and being in control like that is so wrong IMO.

Also I live in Northern Ontario and by October we can have snow sometimes, so my kids get their snowsuits for back to school shopping as well. I spend about 500 sometimes more per kid.

wifeairforce
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM
This year my kids got 5 outfits each. Not including shoes, socks and undies. I'm really cheep so a lot was on sale or clearance also the outfits I got can be broken apart and mixed with other things to add to what they already have. I plan on getting DS a few more thing for his birthday in oct. and they will both get things for Christmas. My choice is to get a little here and there look for sale and clearance so they have what they need.
VixenVictoria
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

All 3 of my kids can go 7 days without needing laundry done, with the exception of pajamas. I spent about $300 between my two boys on school clothes and shoes.

Once summer finally ends, we get to do it again for a new stash of winter clothes. My daughter will get to shop for winter as well (she doesn't need school clothes, she's not in school yet). That'll probably be around $1k, since all three outgrew ALL of last years winter stuff.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My kids have probably about 3 weeks worth of summer clothes and 2 weeks worth of school clothes. I pick up items here and there on clearance and buy ahead sometimes, they get birthday clothes from my parents, and we get some hand-me-downs from friends/family. I never have a lot to buy just before school- new shoes, mostly.

He only allowed your daughter 1 shirt for summer!? That is crazy. Doing the laundry to wash the same thing over and over probably cost more than buying a couple of clearance clothes and being able to do wash less often.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I buy clothing as needed for my kiddos. They also get hand me downs. They have enough clothing to get through the week.

My DH can be a cheapskate but he would never deny the kiddos what I say they need.
nymom13
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Quoting jaytee:

I buy clothing as needed for my kiddos. They also get hand me downs. They have enough clothing to get through the week.

My DH can be a cheapskate but he would never deny the kiddos what I say they need.

My daughter is also set for a week. She sometimes gets hand me downs as well. I buy as she needs stuff.
steelcage
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My husband is the same way. I spent about $300 for school clothes for my girls including 2 pairs of shoes each, new socks and several packs of underwear.  That's not a lot of clothes but DH threw a fit anyway.

They have about 8 outfits of brand new clothes and several more outfits that are mostly left over from summer or last year that I'd rather them not wear and try to use for play clothes but if they have to wear them to school they can. I do laundry on Sunday and sort their clothes for the week alternating certain outfits so it doesn't seem like they wear the same thing every week even though some things repeat.

We have a good stock of winter outfitts as well but my oldest will need more. I'll be bargain hunting/consignment shopping soon for her. She's good on jeans just needs shirts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)