Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you ever regret your child's name?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 105 Replies

Today was the first day of school so there were moms all over the place looking at class lists and chatting since there was also a 'Drop Offs and Donuts' for parents. 

I overheard one mom say "Good Lord, there are 4 Madison's in her class. If I knew it would be such a popular name, I would've named her something else."

Then her friend chimes in with "At least  you didn't give her a ridiculous spelling and use two "Y's" in her name."

Made me wonder, do you ever regret your child's name or the spelling of their name?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SparklingHope
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Nope. Samuel fits Samuel and it's not that popular of a name. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No, I haven't. They don't have rare names, but my oldest has never had another Nathan in his grade (there's a kid who goes by Nate), my daughter has 1 other Leah in her grade, and while there are other Justins in school there are none in my youngest's grade. Even if there were others I don't think I would regret naming them what I did- their names just fit them!

VixenVictoria
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I don't regret them because I had to share the decision making.

I do sometimes wish I had given them something less boring, though. I have James, Nathan and Sadie. They aren't too common at our school (none of my kids share a name with a classmate between their 2 classes, nor do my sons have any classmates with their sister's name), I guess I'll have to settle for that. ;)

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I have an Anthony, Kayleigh and Jaelyn.

I don't regret their names.
mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Nope. I thought so long and hard about their names. I was decided on it months before I actually officially decided on it. 

My husband pushed back a little on the spelling of our second son's name, Brody. He wanted Brodie. Oh, man, I was not going to lose that battle. I prefer Y so much more than IE. The only real variation to Mitchell is with one L and that's just kind of silly IMO.

My name was hardly even heard of when I was in school and very often mispronounced (Michaela). Now, other spellings are pretty popular, but my spelling is still less common (even though my spelling is the original). Since I grew up having to correct people all the time, I didn't want my kids to have to deal with that. My husband has an incredibly common name and had to share it with several classmates (Michael). We didn't want that, either. So well-known, but not popular names were our prerogative and I think we achieved it.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Nope. I hate how popular Connor's name is, but we gave him that name because it has special meaning to us, so I would never want to change it. I just wish everyone else would change their Connor's name, lol!

jackiewal10
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

No. I love my kids names.

saraadria
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

My daughter's name is Adria.  My ex, who I am no longer with and who was not present for the birth, would not let me name her Rachel.  I now wish that I would have just gone with that.  I love her name, but she would have been the only Rachel in school and nobody would have mispronounced it or misspelled it.

sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Nope. My kids all have names that start eith the letter E. I have Emmalee, Elijah and Elayna. Soon we will be adding Evan to that bunch. I love our kids names. It took us forever to come up with names but as soon as we did we fell in love with the names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Laila- I kind of wish I spelled it Leila. I just think the spelling would have fit her personality better. 

Lilith- I only get frustrated because we call her Lily for short and there are like a bazillion Lily's. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)