Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Prayer at School

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 150 Replies

I live in the Bible Belt. I see Christianity and prayer and Jesus everywhere I turn. Lately, I've kind of gone off the deep end and have a hard time keeping my frustration with the unnecessary, occasionally illegal, prevalence of Christianity. 

It really pissed me off at my little sister's public school graduation when there was a student-led prayer during the service that explicitly reference "Jesus Christ of Nazareth" at least twice. It wasn't a moment of silence. It wasn't a generalized prayer to a God, however you would like to view that as. It was specifically Christian in the middle of a public school graduation ceremony. 

I kind of shrugged it off because a student led it and I didn't know if that was legal or not since it wasn't an actual district employee. Today, I found out that it is, indeed, illegal for even a student to lead a prayer at a public school graduation. 

I'm kind of thinking of lodging a complaint with the school about it. It was 3 months ago, but it is still valid. And it's unconstitutional, even if this is a predominantly Christian community. I want to see if I can track down an order of ceremony beforehand just to have physical proof of this, even though it undeniably happened. 

Would you do something about it? It is explicitly unconstitutional.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally would not go after it.   Did anyone else have objections towards it?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no problem w/ it.

I realize that those who are not Christian have the right to practice their religion, or lack thereof. My issue is that in an attempt to not "force" Christianity on non-Christians, Christians themselves are being punished for practicing their religion.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I think the practice of religion is at home, at church, and within themselves and should not be projected on to others at a place or event held that has nothing to do with that religion.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure how this is punishing Christians, though. Asking that Christians observe the same set of regulations all other religions have always been expected to follow isn't punishing anyone, IMO. 

An obvious comparison - would you have been uncomfortable if you were in a public school ceremony and subjected to a very explicit prayer to Allah? Would you not feel like the prayer is forced on you?

Quoting wakymom:

I have no problem w/ it.

I realize that those who are not Christian have the right to practice their religion, or lack thereof. My issue is that in an attempt to not "force" Christianity on non-Christians, Christians themselves are being punished for practicing their religion.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I personally would not go after it.   Did anyone else have objections towards it?

I surely can't give a definite answer, but I know I was not the only non-Christian present, as this is a very large high school with quite a bit of cultural diversity. 800 students graduated.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this
No, i wouldnt have had an issue with it if it is truly student led. I would not have a problem if it said Budda or Allah either. I would insert the name of my God or just stand and be respectful and say my own prayer in my head.
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have complained immediately if it happened at my child's graduation as we're not Christian. If it weren't my child i probably wouldn't bother, though it would offend me.
mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting M4LG5:

I think the practice of religion is at home, at church, and within themselves and should not be projected on to others at a place or event held that has nothing to do with that religion.

This is exactly how I feel! I wish it was understood. I sound like an intolerant asshole when I say I do not appreciate being subjected to something I don't believe in. I am all for religious organizations (I am indeed a part of a church myself). I just do not think it is right or fair (or clearly legal) to expect others to follow your religious norms in a non-religious setting. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Actually, I'd probably find it interesting since I've never heard any Islamic prayers.

Of course, I tend to be more open-minded and live-and-let-live, but a lot of Christians do feel like they are being punished. They can't pray in public like that, but there would be a royal stink, I bet, if members of other religions were told the same thing. Saying "Merry Christmas" is frowned upon. Think about mentioning Easter is about anything other than the Easter Bunny, and there's bound to be someone throwing a fit.  

Quoting mickstinator:

I'm not sure how this is punishing Christians, though. Asking that Christians observe the same set of regulations all other religions have always been expected to follow isn't punishing anyone, IMO. 

An obvious comparison - would you have been uncomfortable if you were in a public school ceremony and subjected to a very explicit prayer to Allah? Would you not feel like the prayer is forced on you?

Quoting wakymom:

I have no problem w/ it.

mickstinator
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

No, i wouldnt have had an issue with it if it is truly student led. I would not have a problem if it said Budda or Allah either. I would insert the name of my God or just stand and be respectful and say my own prayer in my head.

The reason I never said anything about it was because of the fact that a student gave the invocation. Today I learned that it has been specifically ruled on by the courts in the case of prayer at public school sports events.

See this excerpt from this site

"In addition, the Court found that having a student, as opposed to an adult, lead the prayer did not solve the constitutional dilemma. A football game is still a school-sponsored event, they held, and the school was still coercing the students, however subtly, to participate in a religious exercise.4"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)