Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you stop reading to your kids?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 63 Replies
At what age did you stop reading to your kids and they started reading by themselves?
DS is in 2nd grade now and we do about half and half.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disastermind
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My middle son is just starting in Kindergarten this year so we're still reading... here's a bump though.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I forget exactly- it's been a few years. My younger two were early readers- they are going into 4th and 3rd grade and I think it's been about 2 years.

huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My oldest is in 3rd grade and every night one of us reads to him and then he reads to us...I have been wondering lately how long we will/should/need to keep doing it.  I don't have a problem with it, but there are nights it would be nice to just let him read by himself.

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

About 4th grade I think. We would read to her at bedtime.

Mommabearbergh
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Dd reads to herself most times. She reads for hours but anytime she wants me to read to her I do. She just started first grade.
reche1978
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

my dd reads pretty much since 2nd grade

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I haven't stopped. Although they are soon to be 12, 11 and 10, I still read from a chapter book to them once a week for an hour.
SciFiMama91
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM
DS is in Kinder and we do both or read it together. I was read to until 5th grade, I'll do it as long as he enjoys it.
Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM
DD began reading chapter books completely to herself the end of spring & this summer. She just started 1st grade this Tuesday. We still read to her on occasion, & she has to read aloud to us for homework every night.
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Um I'd say kinder, I started reading her chapter books and now that's all she reads. She's in second now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)