Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Phase in for Kindergarten

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 38 Replies

My middle son will be starting Kindergarten on September 3rd. He's very excited to go. He was scared at first but after taking him with us to parents night, he saw the school and met the teachers and said he wanted to go! Phew!

Anyway. I guess they're trying something new this year. They're phasing the kids into Kindergarten. They have the parent come in with them for an hour the first day to sit with the teacher, check out the classroom and all of that.

The second day the parent comes in with them, it's for 2 hours. Then the third day, it's three.

After that, the kids will start with their full day which is 8:30 to 1:30 (this is considered full time)

Did any of your kids school do this?

What do you think about it? I think it's a great idea for the kids that are really shy and having a hard time with going to school.

I posted this in the preschool group but figured it may get more replies in this one.

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

We do not do anything like that here. When my son started school he was fine and never got upset or anything. But my daughter just started on Monday and I had to leave her screaming and crying. That was really hard to do, however, the teacher said she stopped within a few minutes and was great the rest of the day. And the rest of the week she has been fine when dropping her off and has had a great first week. I am honestly not sure if the phase in thing would have helped or just made it worse. Why don't they have yall come in for 3 hours the first day and take away an hour each day instead of adding an hour each day? That does not really make sense to me to make them think you will be there longer and longer each day.

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Mine probably would have been fine without this. It's just something they're doing for everyone.

I don't know why they're doing it this way. I'm guessing they're just wanting the kids to see we are there less and less as the days go by and then they go without us.

My oldest son couldn't have cared less about going into Kindergarten. I was more upset about it than he was! lol

Quoting gcstar42:

We do not do anything like that here. When my son started school he was fine and never got upset or anything. But my daughter just started on Monday and I had to leave her screaming and crying. That was really hard to do, however, the teacher said she stopped within a few minutes and was great the rest of the day. And the rest of the week she has been fine when dropping her off and has had a great first week. I am honestly not sure if the phase in thing would have helped or just made it worse. Why don't they have yall come in for 3 hours the first day and take away an hour each day instead of adding an hour each day? That does not really make sense to me to make them think you will be there longer and longer each day.

gcstar42
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Hmm maybe I read it wrong lol. I thought you said parents were there an hour the first day and then they sit with them for 2 hours the 2nd day and then stay with them for 3 hours the 3rd day. Lol did I totally read that wrong?

Quoting disastermind:

Mine probably would have been fine without this. It's just something they're doing for everyone.

I don't know why they're doing it this way. I'm guessing they're just wanting the kids to see we are there less and less as the days go by and then they go without us.

My oldest son couldn't have cared less about going into Kindergarten. I was more upset about it than he was! lol

Quoting gcstar42:

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I'm sorry. You are right. I have a headache and my mind is just shutting down.

I wrote it backwards!

Quoting gcstar42:

Hmm maybe I read it wrong lol. I thought you said parents were there an hour the first day and then they sit with them for 2 hours the 2nd day and then stay with them for 3 hours the 3rd day. Lol did I totally read that wrong?

Quoting disastermind:

Quoting gcstar42:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

No, my son's school doesn't have that.  My son did very well when attending kindergarten.  Is there a choice for parents to go or do all parents have to go?  I wonder if this will help the children that are uneasy going to school.

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

The parents have to go.

I'm a sahm so it's easy for me to be there but I can imagine not all parents are thrilled about it. I'm not sure though, there may be a way to get around it if the parent really cannot go.

Quoting emarin77:

No, my son's school doesn't have that.  My son did very well when attending kindergarten.  Is there a choice for parents to go or do all parents have to go?  I wonder if this will help the children that are uneasy going to school.

Mommy_Jenx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Never heard of that. That would be great for my youngest who starts K next year. She has always been shy and a huge mama's girl. My older 2 were fine.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Here they way they do phase in is part of the class goes each day for 4 days (tues-fri), all kids go 2 days that week and then on Monday everyone comes. On the days only part of the class goes they are there from 7:45 - 1:15 then on the full days they stay til 2:45 like the rest of the school.

I would hate it if the parents had to stay in the classroom. I volunteer at the school and I'm there a lot but I can't go in my sons classroom because once he's clingy and would try to stay up my butt all day. He does much better when I just get him where he's going and leave.  

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I think it would work out best if there was a choice for parents.

Quoting disastermind:

The parents have to go.

I'm a sahm so it's easy for me to be there but I can imagine not all parents are thrilled about it. I'm not sure though, there may be a way to get around it if the parent really cannot go.

Quoting emarin77:

disastermind
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yea, me too. Some just cannot do it or it's too much of a hassle to.

Quoting emarin77:

I think it would work out best if there was a choice for parents.

Quoting disastermind:

The parents have to go.

Quoting emarin77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)