Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Cold Packs!!!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 58 Replies

Poll

Question: Ice Pack?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 48

View Results

I teach preschool and I can't tell you how tired I am of opening up lunch boxes and seeing food, that is supposed to be cold, luke warm. The smell of the lunch box overpowers all. It's icky. Cheese sticks, (ham/turkey/cheese/pbANDJ sandwiches, yogurt, etc) are SUPPOSED to be cold, not luke warm. Most of the kids will not eat them if they are not cold. It is disgusting. 

I just don't get how hard it is to throw in an ice pack in their lunchbox. For me, we throw in a few of those baby teethers. We freeze the baby teethers they used as infants and I use them as ice packs it works perfect because I can place the teether on top of the stuff that is supposed to be cold. 

Do you send an ice pack in your child's lunch box?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Tammy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. We have tons of those little ones that are about the size of my palm.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

We dont use ice packs.  We will freeze her juice pouch or water bottle, put the hot or cold foods in their insulated container which we got to the hot / cold side by freezing or putting hot water in it.   Pb and J can be served at room temperature.  Her lunch bag is also insulated so unless something gets smushed or a hole in it, the foods/drink are fine.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

ugh the smell of pbandj without an ice pack after being in the bag is so smelly!!! ick!!! 

but that sounds like a cool container.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We dont use ice packs.  We will freeze her juice pouch or water bottle, put the hot or cold foods in their insulated container which we got to the hot / cold side by freezing or putting hot water in it.   Pb and J can be served at room temperature.  Her lunch bag is also insulated so unless something gets smushed or a hole in it, the foods/drink are fine.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

DD does not eat pb and j so i dont have ot worry about it.  I just remember from my childhood lunches.  There alot of containers out there that are insulated or have built in cooling agents and parents do not see it as an investment.   We are on our 3rd year of using the round one for dd. 

Quoting mommy053008:

ugh the smell of pbandj without an ice pack after being in the bag is so smelly!!! ick!!! 

Quoting frndlyfn:

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
I usually.don't let them take food that must be hot or cold unless they have an ice pack or the food is in a container to be kept hot. I guess thats from too many food safety videos from when I worked.
This year I bought the boys the Ziploc lunch kits that comes with an ice pack.
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

In my 8 yrs of teaching preschool I have NEVER EVER seen one of these! This is awesome and I may be investing in one in the future. However I will still add in an ice pack for extra coldness on those long mornings with it sitting out. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD does not eat pb and j so i dont have ot worry about it.  I just remember from my childhood lunches.  There alot of containers out there that are insulated or have built in cooling agents and parents do not see it as an investment.   We are on our 3rd year of using the round one for dd. 

Quoting mommy053008:

Quoting frndlyfn:

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Say what? There are so many cool things I am missing out on! Explain...pic? ELABORATE! 

Quoting momofjkkc:

I usually.don't let them take food that must be hot or cold unless they have an ice pack or the food is in a container to be kept hot. I guess thats from too many food safety videos from when I worked.
This year I bought the boys the Ziploc lunch kits that comes with an ice pack.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Cold pbj??Gross!!

We don't pack lunches,but 2 snaxks a day,each boy has snack boxes that have ice packs built in
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM

We refridgerate our jelly once your bags our sitting out there near a window and you take them out around 11:30 the sandwiches smell is overpowering with nasty jelly.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Cold pbj??Gross!!

We don't pack lunches,but 2 snaxks a day,each boy has snack boxes that have ice packs built in

bzzybeemomof3
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids take 2 in the lunch, one for the bottom and one for the top. But they also have the containers with built in icepacks as well for certain things like wraps, and diced up meats and cheeses etc....the other 2 are to keep extra drinks cold. lol And stuff that wont fit in the containers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)