Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RAWR!!!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 13 Replies
Do y'all have issues with your LOs throwing temper tantrums? What are some of the alternative punishments you use?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

We just take away privileges for dd . She is 7.  When we are not at home she will get a time out when she is not able to calm herself down.  Growling gets a call to the vet since clearly she is not human when growling.  That usually gets her to stop  LOL.

She is getting evaluated this week for possible private OT so we may get more suggestions for tantrums or meltdowns.

skcissom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

We just take away privileges for dd . She is 7.  When we are not at home she will get a time out when she is not able to calm herself down.  Growling gets a call to the vet since clearly she is not human when growling.  That usually gets her to stop  LOL.

She is getting evaluated this week for possible private OT so we may get more suggestions for tantrums or meltdowns.

I am at my wits end with my 5 year old. Nothing me and DH have tried is working and his behavior is getting progressively worse. Hopefully this is just a phase.
frndlyfn
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Quoting skcissom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am at my wits end with my 5 year old. Nothing me and DH have tried is working and his behavior is getting progressively worse. Hopefully this is just a phase.

Has he ever been checked out for behavioral issues or something that may be different with his way of thinking?   What types of things have you tried and for how long?  For some children a discipline method could take months for them to understand that for every choice they make there is a consequence , whether it be a good or bad one.   I am presuming you have tried the putting him somewhere safe and just letting him scream it out.

skcissom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM
No, not yet. DH and I have been tossing the idea around but I don't want him labeled if I can help it. On the other hand, I will gladly get him the help/treatment he needs...does that make any sense? lol I've tried spanking, time outs, taking away privileges (i.e. games, tv, favorite toys)...we even made him run laps and do sit ups. The only one that lasted more than 24 hours was the favorite toys and all video games. Do you think I'm being too relaxed?
kryjen
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

With my son, 6, he can end up with a combo of things.  His punishment just escalates as poor behavior continues.  Yes, the discontent with this treatment can lead to him getting even more emotional, but eventually he realizes he needs to knock it off, or things will just get worse for him.  Example: he misbehaves and a consequence is given, could be time out, could be loss of privilege for x amount of time.  Tantrum happens, he gets 3 seconds to recollect or the time is doubled, keeps going time increases and something else is lost, if the pattern continues then my pattern does.  Pretty soon we get to the current consequences plus spanking.  This has only ever happened once, and I think he learned his lesson.  He still escalates occasional, to multiple/extended losses, but it is slowly getting better.  Good luck!

Pukalani79
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

It's rare anymore.  Time outs and loss of privileges are our main punishments

frndlyfn
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

How many days did you employ each method though?  Did you just try it once and when it did not work you move on to a new method  or did you try it for a few weeks each time he made the choice to throw a fit.

My dd has something with processing going on and she does not have a label not even in class.  She is thriving since she needs special help in some areas.  

Quoting skcissom:

No, not yet. DH and I have been tossing the idea around but I don't want him labeled if I can help it. On the other hand, I will gladly get him the help/treatment he needs...does that make any sense? lol I've tried spanking, time outs, taking away privileges (i.e. games, tv, favorite toys)...we even made him run laps and do sit ups. The only one that lasted more than 24 hours was the favorite toys and all video games. Do you think I'm being too relaxed?

Dodie702
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM
My 5 year old dd never threw tantrums and neither does my 3 year old ds. I'd say let them have the tantrum and then put them in timeout.
Avarah
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Read Magic 1-2-3. I think it's the best book I've ever read on managing discipline and behavior issues.

When my 5 yr old pulls tantrum crap, all I have to say is 1. If he keeps at it, 2 with a reminder that he will go to his room if I get to three. Etc. I know it sounds simplistic, but read the book and you'll see how it's not just about the counting.
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes I do and I'm working on that.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)