Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Math Facts **edit

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 35 Replies
DS needs to know add and subtract math facts by November. We have been trying to teach him since last year. We have done flash cards, math fact games, timed tests. He is supposed to have them memorized but he keeps counting in his head. We go fast and he gets mad saying we go too fast.

Any suggestions? In November they start multiplication.

**thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try doing smaller amounts and focus on one group at a time. I'll check out those math sites too.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Cut back the number you are practicing at one time. Focus on the same five for a few days until it becomes automatic then switch two out and keep working until he knows the new ones. Cycle one's he's done back in after a few days. 

Drilling him on a pile of cards is too much at once. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I would look into fun videos for addition/subtraction as well as a possible tutor to get a different perspective.   For my dd it was easier to use objects like pretzel sticks when doing the math facts at home.  We also have a number chart 1-100 so if she got stuck she could go up to it and count backwards/forwards.   She is a very hands on visual learner.  She is going into 2nd grade so not sure when they start multiplication.

happymommy1105
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

some kids are just not that great at math- me included. 

let him do it his way.  he will get it when he is ready!

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

This and whatever you do, please do NOT excuse him from learning his math facts. These are essential life-long skills. BTW using candy might help too. Skittles and/or M & Ms are easy, cheap, and tasty to teach addition and subtraction.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Cut back the number you are practicing at one time. Focus on the same five for a few days until it becomes automatic then switch two out and keep working until he knows the new ones. Cycle one's he's done back in after a few days. 

Drilling him on a pile of cards is too much at once. 

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I really think the way they do math now vs when we learned makes learning the facts bam bam bam much harder to master. But thats me. My daughter can do math is great at it but she cant master the timed facts to save her life. She gets really really close and then gets frustrated cuz she cant get them all in the time allotted. Shes also in 3rd grade. I wish I could teach her math the way I learned cuz man would it make it easier. I cant even do the math she does lol. Its like a foreign language to me! But if i teach her the way i learned im afraid ill confuse her.... since the way she does it works and is the only way she knows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Memorization of math facts isn't based on math. It's memorization that happens to be about math. There's a difference.

I think the problem isn't how math is taught. The problem is the way parents "parent" these days and I use the term parent very loosely.
DACIA79
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Sorry no ideas I use flash cards for every subject but since that's how I learn so it just worked for us

Have you tried online math games.
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Softschools.com have some neat ideas...Flash to pass app and its free...flash cards

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD is in 4th grade and struggles with math (like I do). She still adds and subtracts with her fingers, but believe it or not multiplication is much easier for her. She can multiplication much faster than adding or subtracting. Just keep working with him at his pace.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Well you will not be able to get him to memorize most likely.  Does this child have Central Auditory Processing Disorder?  How is is reading comprehension? 

I would teach him but using his fingers/ or objects on a table, small objects he can hold not view.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN