Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Airsoft guns?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 27 Replies

One of the kids on our block is big into military play.  The newest toy is an airsoft gun.  He was over here with a buddy "pretending" to shoot my kids and the others already playing here.  My youngest came in upset because the older boys (same age as my oldest) were shooting them. I went out & nicely reminded them that guns (whether his actual BB gun or his airsoft) are not allowed in our yard.  What do you think?  Am I wrong or is that this upsets my kids reason enough?

**I did let the boys know that if they took the guns home they were more than welcome to come back**

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Airsoft guns have been all the rage in our neighborhood for the last 2-3 years. Your yard, your rules, BUT don't be surprised if your son isn't invited to play anymore.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We treat airsoft guns the same as regular guns. They are for practice. Not play. So I would not be okay with someone else's child coming off and pretend play with one.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I think telling a kid to knock it off when they are bugging your kid is okay.
by Barbara on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Very popular here. All the boys play with them outside, especially at parties. My son has a couple airsoft guns.

by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Those pellets hurt! Not appropriate for shooting at people!! I would talk to the parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Your yard, your rules.  If they don't like it, then they don't have to come over.  DS has an airsoft gun, but I bought it before doing my research on it (way to go, mom!).  It's now put up and he hasn't missed it at all.  I didn't realize these guns actually shoot plastic pellets.  I literally thought they were just shooting puffs of air and sounded like a gun.  So, my rule now is no air soft guns, period.  I can just see an eye getting shot out, smh.  Not to be negative, but kids are kids and when they are playing, they don't necessarily pay attention to safety, no matter how much we preach it to them.  DS is almost 10 years old, and he still doesn't pay attention to safety.....and he has a mom who worked in safety for years (so you can imagine the preaching that I did on a daily basis, ha ha!).  Anyways, you are doing the right thing.  Stick to your rules ;)

by Kristi on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

OMG, I just looked at them, they look just like real guns!  I would not want them around either.  

IF my child did have one, he/she would certainly only play with it under my or my DH's close supervision.  They definitely would not take it to someone's house/yard.

If I saw someone in my yard, how would I know it was an airsoft gun or a real gun?  I do not think any gun(NERF too) should be aimed at a person.  The only exception I have is water guns, but they should never be aimed at a face.  if they are, the guns are taken away until playtime is over.

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I would have said the same thing.
Honestly, I'd probably let the parents know. My oldest son had air soft guns but he had rules for them and the biggest most important one was, NEVER POINT IT AT A PERSON. If he did that, I would have been pissed and banned him from them until he could prove responsible enough to get them back.

by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We have pretty stiff rules about airsoft guns around our house since my husband is one of the biggest airsoft reviewers and writes for an airsoft magazine. Safety first. we dont mind when the boys play with airsoft guns in the neighboorhood but we prefer they play ina  backyard since there are little kids running around as well and they dont have safety protection on.

by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My DD and nephews play with airsoft guns all the time - but they all wear goggles and protective gear when they play. They call it their sniper uniforms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)