Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

moms that pack their kids lunches!!!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 98 Replies
On average what do you spend a week per child? What do you pack? What grade is your child in? We are thinking that it would be cheaper for us to pack the kids lunches. I have one in k and one in 4th. We dont qualify for reduced or free lunches, we figured out how much its gonna be and holy crap!

Edit: This is the most replies ive ever had! thanks ladies for all of the ideas! We are going to see how it goes for a couple weeks yo month. I will start next week. I am excited but at the same time not looking forwatd to it.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soontobemommie3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I have no idea. Lol. I've never averaged it out. But, I'm sure it's less than the cost of a school lunch.
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM
depending on what they pick, it is about $2a day per child. we only use reusable containers and never purchase individual servings.
Sj218
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I've figured it out to about $1.75/lunch

My sons typical lunch:
4 slices of ham or turkey
Crackers
Colby cheese stick
Seasonal Fruit
Yogurt
Celery w/peanut butter
Trail mix or a granola bar
Treat
Water or juice

(He just doesn't like sandwiches)

Cheaper in the winter when he takes hot left overs!
lulu_tattoos
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I feel like the cost of packing lunch, for us, is slightly higher than buying school lunch. But I buy higher quality foods than the school gives them. 

My kids pick which they want. If the menu is something they don't like, they pack a lunch. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends if you are using prepackaged processed crap or makign things at home from scratch for them to take.  For our dd the most expensive thing is beverage.  For that we put money on her lunch account if she wants milk (40 cents at school vs a container for 1.00 from store).  She gets fruitables juice boxes, fresh fruit, pretzels or gold fish and soemtimes a main entree that is hot.

twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM
That seems like a lot. Both my kiddos love sandwiches, there is not a microwave until jr high.

Quoting Sj218:

I've figured it out to about $1.75/lunch

My sons typical lunch:

4 slices of ham or turkey

Crackers

Colby cheese stick

Seasonal Fruit

Yogurt

Celery w/peanut butter

Trail mix or a granola bar

Treat

Water or juice

(He just doesn't like sandwiches)

Cheaper in the winter when he takes hot left overs!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Our school does not have a microwave either but we have a container which keeps the foods hot until her lunch time.  There have been times it was still hot when she got home surpassing the 5 hr window it says foods will stay hot.

Bookwormy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I don't think we spend that much on lunches. DD doesn't like leftovers like i do, but still, we don't go expensive. With her food allergies, i just don't see the school lunches as an option, tho we could insist. Thank goodness we don't need free or reduced lunches. I would find it hard to trust them on no sunflower oil.
twokids0407
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM
With my oldest i also have food allergies, but the school has a list of food allergies and jis main one is citrus/fruit.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I don't think we spend that much on lunches. DD doesn't like leftovers like i do, but still, we don't go expensive. With her food allergies, i just don't see the school lunches as an option, tho we could insist. Thank goodness we don't need free or reduced lunches. I would find it hard to trust them on no sunflower oil.

mama_girl07
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Ive never really calculated it but I doubt its much. Tomorrow is a quesadilla, yogurt, grapes, cheetos, fruit snacks and water to drink. She likes sandwiches though too. Mostly its a main entree like a sandwich, quesadilla, mac,or pasta of some sort with yogurt, chips, fruit or veggie then a dessert which is normally a cookie or fruit snacks. Always water to drink by her choice. We pay $12 a month for her to have pizza on Wednesdays as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)