Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

TV in the bedroom? (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 103 Replies

What age do you think it is acceptable for a child to have a TV in their bedroom?

Does your child have a TV in their room? If so, how old were they when it was first given?

Thanks!

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyAmaranth
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Not til late teens, if ever.

I don't think they are necessary in kids rooms and, personally, even in limited use, I feel it harms family communications.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Not til late teens, if ever.

I don't think they are necessary in kids rooms and, personally, even in limited use, I feel it harms family communications.

I agree. We have one in our room, but it also tends to serve as a second living area during the day. I am not ok with tvs in the bedroom. It encourages kids to be antisocial, provides little accountability, and can harm sleep schedules. 

jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM
6 moms liked this
All of my kiddos have a TV in their room. I think it's your call. If you want them to have a TV in their room let them. If not then don't :-)

My kiddos are 5, 10 and 11.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this
No, not ever in our home.
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We have one tv in the house.  It's in the living room.  My daughter will not be getting her own tv.  She can share.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We do but that's because we don't have a 2nd room.  About 5 years ago, we decided to take the wall down between the girls' room to make one big one.  This allowed us to put their toys, books, and other stuff in their room.  The rooms were very small and didn't fit that stuff before.  of course, the kids like to watch something different than us so we decided to put a TV in their room.  If we had another living space (i.e. family room, living room, den), we would put it there but we don't.  We have rules to watching TV so on weekdays, TV isn't on at all in the house until 7pm and that's if dinner, homework, and chores are done.  TV is turned off in the entire house at 8:30pm. 

ETA:  We are looking to move into a bigger house in the next year or so.  We already told the girls that when we do, we are looking for a house with an extra room and they are losing the TV in their room.  They don't mind.  I think kids should have their own space.

unspecified42
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

When they move out of my house.

ninamsi
1 mom liked this

Both of our children have televisions in their rooms.  Isaiah has cable in his room.  They usually watch TV together in his room.  I think they could do without televisions in their rooms.  My husband thinks they need them but also insists that they spend time outside of their rooms and outside to play when the weather is nice and we are home.

ssunshine360
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Heck no.  Not remotely under consideration for my 8 and 5 year olds.  We have other family locations that have televisions.

bzzybeemomof3
2 moms liked this

My 11 and 5 yr old share a room and they have a tv.

My 19 month old actually has a tv in her room as well. But me and her share a room. I watch tv in there at night when she is sleeping. But I do put it on for her when I am doing dishes and cooking. lol Its on for her about 40 minutes a day total.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN