Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She dragged it out for an HOUR!!

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
DD who is 6 is in first grade. Her teacher is awesome and doesn't overload them with HW. Just a math sheet and if they forgot to finish something then they bring that too. Well I guess she forgot to finish her number word sheet. Write out one-ten three times. Simple right? Oh god no. She took an HOUR to write it. Then whizzed through her math sheet. This kid hates writing and her handwriting it is awful as it is so she NEEDS this practice. Ugh
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaylasmom22
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Dd will start first tomorrow and her handwriting is horrible too. I don't know what to do make it better.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Practice, practice, practice.  Also don't be afraid to make her redo it if her writing is too messy.  She will eventually learn that she needs to do her work neatly.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Just have her keep practicing. My dd is 9 and I think her handwriting is STILL horrendous! But she writes cursive pretty well. What is up with THAT?!
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

DD really liked the Zaner Bloser handwriting app in kindy.  It makes them write it correctly and starts them over if they trace or write it wrong (even wrong direction), but doesn't say anything mean, buzz, etc. when that happens.

familyof5now
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Just practice alot....my son is 8 and still has horrible handwriting and learns cursive this year so will see if that is any better. Of course my hubby's handwriting is horrible too.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Like everyone else said, just have her practice.  Maybe having her write about things that interest her might make it easier

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

DD is in 2nd grade this year and she hates writing as well.   Last year we had the math sheets and then she had to work on a handwriting booklet if she did not do her reading journal.  They were supposed to read a book or a part of a book (if reading chapters) and then write 1-3 sentences about it.  Due to dd's delay the teacher minimized to just one sentence needed in journal.  DD could take up to 3 hours just to write that simple sentence.

karone04
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thanks for the app name. I will put it on my Kindle Fire when I can. My ds has a IEP for his handwriting and speech. His teacher said that he might need someone to write his answers for him on his state tests because his is so bad. Unfortunately he learned to write like I did. Block handwriting at one school and d'nealian handwriting at the current school.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

DD really liked the Zaner Bloser handwriting app in kindy.  It makes them write it correctly and starts them over if they trace or write it wrong (even wrong direction), but doesn't say anything mean, buzz, etc. when that happens.

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Just keep practicing. My 10 year old dd has bad handwriting but it's better than it was.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My kids ahve good writting and printing skills cause I make them write lines as punishments. lol

If one of my dd's dragged out a simple assignment for that long, they would more then likely end up with extra writting as in lines. lol My oldest dd hated writting and used to refuse to do it at all costs, now she is really good.

I also had them re-write everything if it was messy, cause they didnt take time to try and do their best. She would take forever but not even try to write nice at all. lol My kids love to write now. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN