Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: hi my daughter is in 4th grade she is happy...

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

fingers crossedhi, my daughter is in 4th grade, she is happy and doing well so far. Today was her 3 time forgetting her math book at school. The first time i looked it up online now i can't find it, the second time i wrote a note to her teacher (cause she was tearing up) now i don't know how to handle this help?

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess she will have to face the natural consequences.   How did the teacher respond when you sent in the note?  I do not know how much homework counts in the 4th grade since we are just entering 2nd grade.

ilovemykids365
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you get on the school's website and find her teacher's email explaining the situation? Emailing is faster and more convenient than a note.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Forth grade is when expectations change and the students need to start taking more responsibility.  I know that this will sound mean, but you need to let your dd suffer the consequences of forgetting her book so that she learns to be more responsible.  It is her job to remember everything necessary to get her homework done.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Stop aiding and abetting. Let her suffer the consequences at school.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It's hard but in 4th grade it's time for her to step up and face the consequences.  It might help her

Jennynalo
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I was also told by my sons teacher when he was in 4th grade it was the time he started really learning responsibility for his actions. I stopped signing reading logs and stuff I'd usually have to be on top of.
zinniadaisy
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Let her face the consequence for forgetting the book and missing the assignment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Here, starting in 3rd gr, the teachers lock the classrm doors after school gets out as a way to help start instilling personal responsibility- if a student forgets something, they're out of luck and have to face the natural consequences.

Now, w/ ds1, since he's ADHD, he would get an extra reminder from the teacher, but he still was ultimately responsible for bringing everything needed home. If he didn't, he still had to deal w/ the consequences.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

She needs to pay the price for it.  If she doesn't bring the book home, she doesn't turn in her homework, and she gets a bad grade.  What else do you want to have happen?

SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I agree with letting her suffer the consequences. Maybe suggest to her that she make a little checklist on an agenda, or in a folder of everything she needs to remember to take home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)