Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Bus eligibility

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 64 Replies

I was just told that my oldest daughter is no longer eligible for the bus until she is in Grade 7, because she is now gr.4 and is less then 2km's walking distance away from the school she is to walk/bike or be driven to school. Do your child(ren) bus transportation have these rules? 

Jk/Sk automatically go on the bus

Grade 1-3 if they are 1km walking distance from the school they are to walk/bike or be driven to school.

Grade 4-6 1.6km walking distance from the school they are to walk/bike or be driven to school.

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

All our schools have the same rules.  2 miles or less have to provide their own transportation.  There are very few exceptions and my sons school is one of them.  Because he attends a challenge academy (advanced placement) which shares a campus with the performing arts school, all the students, regardless of distance is provided transportation. 

My daughter loves her bike, so she rides her bike the 1/2 mile to school.  My son can take the bus (1/2 mile walk to the bus stop), but he is tinkering with the idea of biking the 1 1/2 miles to school once he gets a feel for his schedule this year.  He would get home faster too.  He gets our at 330pm, but because the busses are shared between schools, he doesn't get home util 450pm, even though we only live 1 1/2 miles from the school.

JeremysMom
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

For K-5th, if you live with in half a mile from the school, you are not eligible for bus transportation.

I know for middle school, everyone is eligible since it is out of the way. For high school, I am not sure.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The public schools here have similar rules, although you can pay for your child to ride the bus if you want.  I'm honestly not sure what the rules are for my son to ride the bus to his private school.  I know its an option, but haven't checked into it since we can just bring him.

cindilou13
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

None of our district schools have a rule like this.  You are provided bus transportation if you want it as long as you live in the district.  We actually don't so we have to drive the kids, and I know there are many who choose to drive instead of taking the bus as there are a ton of people at drop off and pick up every day! 

Personally I don't think it's safe these days to have kids walking to school and back.  Too many idiots driving like maniacs and too many maniacs in general!

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Live 2 miles away from school or have no sidewalks (closer to school)  Also, you have to be in the right "zone". Like our school is A zone and another elemntary school is B zone they will not bus to B but they will bus to A. The only exceptions to those are magnet/charter schools that you have to apply for.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Our kids aren't eligible if they live less then 2 miles from the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

i am not sure how far 2k is.. is that 2 miles? and the only bus I was eligable for was in middle school. Elementary was within a mile. and high school was a 5 or more walk, but they assumed by then, everyone was driving anyways. so the only bus was for the special education students. on of the kids who road that bus lived right across the street. I wasnt too happy since I didnt drive until my Jr year.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't even have the option of buses, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Bus transportation is provided to all students in our district.
LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Bus trasnportation is provided for all students.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN